Wednesday, February 24, 2010

7 Habits & The Whole Hearted Child


A little catch up on some of the books & plans we've had for this spring is in order. And some cookie inspiration.






'The Year that Would be Kindergarten' has progressed well, learning along the way as homeschoolers do who have never been down this path. I've collected curriculum, disposed of some, put some on the backburner, and have a good feel for what a 'normal' day schooling at home looks like. I can say it's not much different than I thought. Challenging, yes, However, I've explored new paths, new books, and have a clearer vision of how to put the theories I had to work. Learning while working on character & good habits is the greatest benefit to me about homeschooling. Ideas from Charlotte Mason as well as books like Educating the Whole Hearted Child have begun to influence our home. 'Begin with the end in mind' is the second habit from '7 Habits of Highly Effective Families' The tool Covey encourages families to create is a family mission statement. Tsh at Simple Mom moderates the bookclub discussions in the bookclub. One of her articles about mission statements has about 20 questions to help formulate this plan. These books & writers compliment each other well, to help someone like me, find balance. I know in general what I want to see in our family, my husband has honorable hopes & dreams, but after 2 kids, and lots of living, we need to sharpen the focus. It saves energy for a well lived life.



One books I've been reading on line regularly is Diligently Seeking God (in my blog list). The posts/daily devotions are extremely helpful to keep my main priority in mind: my devotion to God & His purposes, to glorify Him in all this planning & living.




So as I look back at my 2010 Booklist, I'm only adding. I think I've only put one on indefinite hold, but definitely added. (Omnivore's Dilemma, Maker's Diet & Educating the Whole Hearted Child) So many books, so little time. And time is precious-- so today we'll be investigating the box of books my precious friend Leslie sent me, starting with Rascal, a Newberry Honor Book by Sterling North. Followed by chocolate chip cookie making(Mrs. field's chocolate chip recipe- thanks Kelley for that cookbook).


Sounds like a plan to me.

2 comments:

Anita said...

I am reading Education the Whole Hearted Child now. I don't know why I haven't read it before., but the Clarkson's recently sent us all of their products, so I am taking advantage of the opportunity to glean. Jordan, my oldest son, heads to Dallas in the morning to film the Clarkson's weekend seminar. I am so thankful for the education that he is receiving while he films and edits so many homeschool greats! It's an exciting time.

Btw, Sally has a spot on The Homeschool Channel. I haven't seen you on there yet. Check it out at thehomeschoolchannel.tv. Lots of great teaching....for parents!!

Unknown said...

I'm laughing because yesterday I was just thinking about my own booklist and how it's changed. I started The Rodale Book of Composting but realized quickly it is mostly written for someone who will be doing compost for commercial needs - not me! It's very scientific which would be good, but I'm not there yet.

Added: Real Food by Nina Planck; Animal, Vegetable, Mineral by Barbara Kingsolver - oh, and I picked up both of Michael Pollan's books at Costco. I'm saving them for summer I think.

One think I like about the school year cycle is the fact that there is always next year and a new beginning to try new things, new curriculums, and explore new subjects!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...