Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Because Amy Asked- What Went On In My Kitchen This Week


We have spent a little time out of town(working on our former house), but while I was gone, I ate well at other's hands(my mother & sister-in-law both are excellent cooks), & collected ideas and recipes.

I had anticipated visiting a farm where Rachel purchases her eggs & whole unpasturized milk, but alas we spent that precious time at the Urgent Care in Kennesaw, hoping Henry had no breaks in his arm. (Rachel, I almost came to church Wed, but you see we had an emergency...)

But because we are on a Food Journey, I purchased bread from a baker here in the Baton Rouge area upon our return. No I didn't bake it, something to put on my 'things to learn how to do' list (soon to be a feature on By the Bushel). Haven't had any yet, as we are finishing some loaves of bread that are extremely healthy from a discount store, that ended up costing about .65 each. Thanks Kristi- we're just finishing these up.

But I did purchase a turkey breast & actually had dinner on the, well, in the oven as my husband came in. Complete meal in pyrex. Chicken purchased at the same time as the turkey(neither organic, but from Bet'R which has the 'best meats in town'), rice(confess not wholegrain or brown)carrots & broccoli, with organic broth. Seasoned with cajun sprinkles. I say confess, because, I am a wanna-be organic healthy cook/eater. But I haven't successfully transitioned to all the 'good stuff'. We do it periodically, and then, well, it's crawfish season again, and my standard of eating revolves around the price per/pound at the mini-grocery down the street. All other groceries must conform. You must undertstand, I've only lived in Louisiana 4 years. 1st year, non-consumer, year 2, addicted, eating them by the pounds. We won't even address the quality of this food, at least not in this post.... think of it as the box of junior mints or the extra piece of xyz fatty, sweet, salty treat that you just can't live without. Giving up certain cultural food is a whole 'nuther issue.... Amy.... here's a topic for ya. (grin )

So while I had dinner on the table, I had loads, & loads of wet towels in the laundry, because after our return home, the refridgerator gave it's last gasp & started spewing water from the cracked water filter. If you don't properly clean the fan/exaust from the cooling system, it can't breath and will begin to freeze your food, including items in your refridgerator & all the connecte & related components. This is truly humiliating, remember in a former life, I'm a 'home ec' major... So while we have frozen produce, thawing out all over the counter, I've been thrifty, not to 'toss' out the old while I try to improve our diet. Trying to do the homework, to move into better habits, even some old habits we tossed aside when life became to busy, & budgets didn't seem to allow.

Currently in my menu prep pantry:

Large turkey breast

8 red potatoes

1/2 carton organic chicken broth

1/2 gallon organic milk

1/2 gallon cheap apple juice

store canned red, pinto, purple hull & green beans

store canned tomatoe sauce

chopped tomatoes

cheap shredded cheese mozarella

green olives

thawed head of cabbage

4 oranges

3 oz fresh organic spinnach

2 dozen free roaming eggs

1 head of cauliflower

1 loaf super duper wheat bread

leftover spaghetti & meat sauce(I make B'Lou's sauce)

left over chicken, rice, carrots dish

2 lbs baby carrots(see movie Food Inc. for how these are made)

1 tub of Stoneyfield organic french vanilla yogurt


If you read this, and see ALL the flaws in our diet, go gentle. We are a family ready for change, but like most tired & find it difficult to make the best choices in the moment.


I could really go for a big salad about now... with blue cheese dressing, Martha.


So just because we weren't here, doesn't mean I didn't collect a recipe for Pasta de Fagioli, or enjoy Nana's crabcakes, or her bean/butternut squash soup. I'm just glad I was here when the fridge decided to give way... can you imagine if we hadn't been here?
photo is of leftover King Cake, Eric's birthday cake, as his birthday happens right as Mardi Gras Season begins. I don't actually eat this. I have a salty tooth, not a sweet tooth.
Also, I must add, while I write Jack is enjoying a delicious bowl of sausage/seafood/chicken gumbo, our neighbor had ready for us when we pulled in the drive.


6 comments:

Laura at By the Bushel said...

I didn't not buy the bread at their store location, but at bet-r who often carries their product.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I may have missed it in your post, but did you tell us what's in the picture at the top?

Unknown said...

First, Don't forget that I'm a southern belle, too (in disguise!). That cultural food you talk about - I have to fill up when I'm back "home in the south" on vacation! All food rules are off!!! (You got to live a little! Thankfully, we have freedom in Christ!).

Second, you must post that Pasta de Fagioli recipe when you get a chance. It sounds intriguing!

Third, what was with the refrigerator water filters this week?? We had an "accident" too! My husband went to change the filter and water started spewing everywhere! Tons of it! Like a hose was turned on in the kitchen. We quickly pulled the fridge out from the wall and shut the water off. Then I spent the next 1-2 hours cleaning it up - he had an appointment! On the upside, my refrigerator is SPARKLING CLEAN!

May I encourage you before I leave - there are seasons of life! Just hang in there and take one step at a time!
Blessings!

Laura at By the Bushel said...

It's a pre-baked, cheapy King Cake, complete with plastic baby. (the baby represents the baby Jesus, who the wise men sought... the whole season is full of glimpses of Christ, distorted and lost like much of commercialized religious holiday's.)This cake is a concession on my part to appease my husband. The cake's are delicious, when well done. The day of superbowl, they were all iced in black & gold icing with black and gold beads in the boxes.
Apparently Amy, you've been so busy cooking that you haven't had time to change clean your fan either! ha.. I think the filter froze, cracked & spewed.
That was about what my husband said. Turned off the water, pulled out drawers(placing them so they saturated bills & random paperwork) then said, 'I gotta go'. At least he turned off the water. :) I couldn't get it to budge! Ironically, while the towels were soaking, the phone rang & it was the dentist aasking if we were on our appointments that were scheduled for 1/2 an hour before.... (seasons of our lives...)
Looking for the magazine with the recipe, it was in House Beautiful from a december ago. I will post, if I can find.
I also mentioned B'Lou's spaghetti sauce. Good stuff. I use it for large groups as well as our familiy. If it's ok with her, I'll post it.
It helped to look at my ingredients, & I think I'm almost on my way to the potatoe lasagna. Thanks for posting the recipees & the pictures. The picts are an inpsiration to me. Thanks thy hand.
p.s. I realized I hadn't posted any 1000 gifts this Monday, but after reading back thru, I'm so blessed. God is good, food to eat a kitchen to cook in, and healthy kids to gobble it up. Opportunity for choice & freedom in Christ to enjoy delicious, tasty traditional foods that keep us appreciating the world with which He's blessed us.
Thanks always for your comments gals, I really, really appreciate your blogs & friendly encouragment.

Annesta said...

Laura, your post totally made me laugh out loud! You are so funny. I can relate to you on so many levels...trying to convert my family to a much healthier way of eating, my fridge and frozen veggies in the fridge, now I know what is wrong with my fridge!!
And, the Kings Cake.....oh, yummy!
I think we have to be flexible when we are planning meals for our families. We can't be "extreme" anything or we will alienate someone in our family and cause problems.
I think you are doing a great job feeding your family! I can't wait to get back into my kitchen.

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

JUST saw this....and all your other posts...what on earth? I've been to your blog multiple times over the last week or so. hmm...wondering if when I start typing I've just been pushing enter when a cookie remembers it and it goes to an older post. here I was thinking you'd not posted in a while. ha ha ha!!

No worries at all!! Thanks for your email. I'm off to ladies retreat right now. More to come from this crazy friend!! :-)

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...