Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Inspiring Destinations











Sometimes 'the park' just isn't enough. So many times places of interest & purpose are overlooked in favor of the nearest bouncy house. But that's not what I'm talking about--I'm talking about site seeing, that which might be thought too much for little guys-- not interesting enough. But often turns out to be the best quiet evening you could have thought of.

Planted by Streams lives near enough to DC to wander to beautiful places, and while looking at her pictures, I tried to think of an inspiring place near us, for a day trip.
Then I remembered visiting the old church & cemetery in Lexington. It's not the National Cathedral, but I'm impressed. I think it's beautiful, especially at sunset. The boys were truly taken with the place. We are careful to be respectful of the graves. Conveniently there is a park directly across the street with room to run. But I think they enjoyed the tour through the cemetery best.
(The cross marker is from the CSA, Confederate Army)
Just in case you didn't read the update, we did not get a contract on the house. The hunt continues.....

2 comments:

Annesta said...

A couple of times a year we would go to the cemetery to put flowers on our loved ones graves or just clean up around the graves. It was also our habit to walk along and read the headstones. I would always wonder about their stories.
What a nice outing for you and your boys.
Have a restful weekend.
~a

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

awesome. I love it. so much history and interest and beauty in such a place!! You're such a creative Mommy!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...