Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Reasons it's Difficult to Travel this Food Journey

This one may seem a little less obvious, but can you tell how anemic this tomato looks? While we've been sick, Eric went to the store. I had list ready, abreviated it a little and sent him shopping. Bless his heart... seriously you could almost see through this tomatoe-esque thing. It had a slight resemblance in flavor to a real tomato, but eek! He really didn't do that badly in his efforts. He did purchase organic milk. (?) I was stunned. All the other options must have been sold out.
1.Point I'm making, we are on several journey's right now, and the food journey isn't at the top of our families list. When taking a food journey, bring family along with patience. Be thankful for efforts made of any kind.















2.Cultural foods are not always...mmm.. shall we say 'high quality'. I'll be careful here, but to some these are just mud-bugs. After watching 'Food Inc.' & reading 'In Defense of Food', I've been reminded about some of the less palatable facts about food. But isn't he cute? The kid, I mean....



oh yeah... our first bag of the season- 7 lbs of heaven.


3. Kids are trained to eat what they've been served. Do you notice that this picture is taken as we're driving by? We can't slow down in front of a Cane's sign, because it's all we'll hear for, well until we get some Cane's chicken. Yet another wonderful thing about Louisiana. Henry wake's talking about Cane's chicken, (and Eden.) He's a simple man, with good taste.



Do I have to say anything about this Baum's Bakery sign? During Mardi Gras, they'll ship your king cake anywhere... or just serve you up 3 to go.
4.But it should be said, sugar is addictive.





So while I plan my next trip to the farmer's market, and consider CSA's I'm painfully aware of the difficulties that are out there, challenging my food journey. Like the sirens calling Jason...

5 comments:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Getting educated is the first step and you've done that. Next, tackle one little thing at a time and when that becomes the natural thing to do, tackle one more. Take it slow and don't be hard on yourself. Food is so much more than nourishment to us- it's tradition, it's memories, it's who we are. It's tough to change that and make new relationships with new food habits, but it can be done and taking it slowly is the way to go:-).

Annesta said...

What a great post, Laura! I can relate. I have joined you in trying to get educated about what we eat and what we buy to nourish our bodies but it is not easy to actually put into place the things we know we should do to be healthy.
I was looking through a Southern living magazine earlier today and saw an article about crawfish and thought of you and your family.
We just need to take one meal at a time!

Unknown said...

I agree with THHP. Hey, he brought home organic milk, right! A victory for sure!

Laura said...

Laura, as a fellow Louisiana girl, I can relate to the food choice difficulties when going "home". (I'm from Slidell!) I limit my crawfish, shrimp, crab, etc. to a trip home - That's where it is the best! I am pulling my family along through our food journey, verrrry slowwwwwly. Like Annesta said, "One meal at a time!"

Jane D. said...

Keep up the good work on your journey, it will get easier and before you know it you will have all your family on board - I am even starting to notice that when I visit my mother she is buying organic bits and pieces for me - that would not have happened a year ago.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...