Monday, February 1, 2010

Food, Marriage, & Athiesm



Did I get your attention?
I have 2 books on my shelf by Douglas Wilson, author of Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, and most recently I obtained a copy of Repairing the Ruins. I've 'bout memorized the first, still have yet to move on to the latter. However, the interest is revived. Like the time I met John Rosemond, I'd probably fall mute if I met Wilson. You see, 'Lost Tools' is one of those books that changed my life. My perspective on education, the purpose of it & my responsibility in regards to it were profoundly impacted.

The reason I bring him up: I saw on Veritas at Home a reference to this movie. Most Recently he's appearing in a motion picture ' Collision', which chronicles, I believe, discussion and debate between Wilson & Kitchens, an atheist. I want to devote time to this, because it looks good. Really good.

But then there's also this book In Defense of Food, & this movie Food Inc. That also look good, informative, relevant. And are mentioned by Douglas Wilson on his blog in a bigger picture perspective. He's not a foodie, nor does he discount efforts of folks to care about what they eat and where it comes from. But his perspective & opinion are an interesting angle, since my friend at River Rock Cottage, continues to make me think about food with all of her recent posts(thanks Amy!) The results from her poll have been tallied on where we get our produce.

But then I realize, my attitude has, well been lacking grace. Not lacking so much in thanks, but mercy & grace to those around me. Anger seems to set in. And get ugly. First things first, came to mind....

So I jumped over to Femina, written by Nancy Wilson, Douglas Wilson's wife.

She seems to tap in with a live camera to my home sometimes, and then provides the bit of encouragment & conviction I need. From the perspective of a seasoned woman, older teaching the younger. The title of this blog post is 'Why men don't lead'. Perhaps your grace & mercy are up to speed, and it will only be an affirmation to you in how you effectively appreciate and love your husband. But either way, visit. Her insights are wide in many subjects. You won't be disappointed.
I hear smart people talk about the 'Great Conversation.' I think I've begun to meet folks like that, for instance, Edie at Life in Grace,who is an exceptionally interesting blogger who'll be speaking?/attending formally soon in a WWC(WorldWideConversation). But like living languages, the 'Great Conversation' takes on its own life. Another rabbit trail for another day.
That is just a smattering of what I read early this morning... we had alot of sleepless critters in our house last night. Real life. Not the brainier stuff. The simple stuff.
That's where my efforts need to focus, but sometimes the bigger perspective helps. Keeps my soul up and going. Focused on the Maker of all. The Source of love that will keep me from belittling others with whom I do not agree, in brainier matters, and keep me from forsaking the simple and often more challenging things in life. For even if I could prophecy, it wouldn't matter if I didn't have love.
That's why I'm reading the Daily Devotion. To seek Him who can complete what I can't, meet all the needs that human relationships can't, find wisdom that is true, complete & infinite, and be convicted when I neglect the Word.
So I wander back to the whole point of the Gratitude Community, realizing I haven't started my day right. Haven't been thankful, haven't been a part of HHC (His Holy Conversation). There's always a WWC, and there's alot worth listening to, good stuff, but not more important than prayer, especially thanks. It sets the tone, provides the antidote to my head's spinning over all the other things I can't sort out, make right, participate in, or even understand. His truth is truth. Better to start there.
Simple things I'm thankful for, after an exceptionally early rising...
Thank you Lord,
for the rain, that washes my mind.
for little kids who enjoy snuggling.
Toast and jelly. Kashi, grapes.
Coffee.
Carpools.
'Busytown' videos, for mornings that come waaay too early.
Husband who leads.
It's a start- Bible reading will have to wait, the urgent & important are awake. It would have been first, but this morning officially started in the middle of the night.
Monday mornings, I usually meet friends at the Gratitude Community. Join others who are counting One Thousand Gifts.
** Warning:** Sleep Depravity will cause blog linkage overload!! Read with caution..zzzzz

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I just saw Food, Inc... thanks for the tip... off to read his review (and visit your other great links).

Blessings on your Monday!
Jennifer

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Laura,

Interesting post! I had not heard of Wilson, so hopped over and read his on-line review of Food, Inc. (which I've seen).

All I can say is that as a Christian, I need to be careful when I read such reviews and commentaries. It appears that what Wilson is most concerned about is the "more government" trend that he gleans from the movie. It bothers me when Christians feel the need to take up the opposite view of a liberal (movie, stance, what have you), for the sake of opposing it.

Instead, shouldn't we step back and discern for ourselves, Bible in one hand, object we are critiquing in the other, and figure out where the Lord is leading us?

Let's be critical ourselves instead of either side being critical for us and sucking us in to their positions when often they seem to be based on politics instead of looking at how God might want us to see the issue.

Wow, I'm long-winded today. Thanks for this post and for raising the issues:-).

Unknown said...

Wow! Great post! It really got me thinking. I jumped over and read Doug Wilson's post and I have a few thoughts on that...

I've read lots of Doug Wilson's stuff. So I have a general knowledge of how he operates - the man has the gift of prophecy in the sense that he sees things very black and white and has a God given ability to see doctrinal error. However, he would do well to read I Cor. 13 each morning that he wakes up (same passage you mentioned today and the one my #2 child is memorizing currently). Doug is no Mary Poppins - he does not believe in any sugar to help make the medicine go down! It would also be nice if he would remember that all of us have not been classically trained and need some time to catch up with his vocabulary. I need a dictionary just to figure out what he is saying most of the time!

Anyway, I have to agree with him about the fact that IF the makers of the movie are calling for more reform, which I believe their website does state, then they are doing the very thing they claim others have done and yet they call it "foul". For the believer, we must remember that God causes the sun to shine and the rain to fall on the just and the unjust. He gives the ungodly bits of truth that unfortunately, they often squander. In the case of Food, Inc., they have done the research for us. Most of the movie is still a list of facts, which can be used as we wish. We can take that knowledge and then do as I like to say... VOTE with your pocketbook. I am totally a capitalist. And to take it even further, get back to the land ourselves and do a bit of farming. Why always depend on someone else? It isn't wrong, but makes me wonder if we are just a decadent culture that has traded our dollars for good healthy food and purchased various forms of mindless entertainment instead - not you or I of course!! :-).

To sum it up, I agree with Thy Hand Hath Provided. Yeah, the movie got the "political" message wrong. But they didn't get the "food" message wrong. Let's take from it the good that we can and use it well.

Thanks for mentioning my blog along with such a great group of writers and bloggers. I'm honored!

Laura at By the Bushel said...

I appreciate very much the comments posted regarding these particular links of interest.
Jennifer, I am always interested to see your day's events, field trips or at home!

Well said about Wilson's lack of sensitivity to the classically untrained. And a good dose of I Cor 13 would do all mankind some real good.
I really appreciate your perspective, thy hand, not more than Amy's because your lifestyle actually speaks to the issue, loud and clear. Amy - yours too, in regard to food! I'm a wanna-be. I'm still trying to limp along. It's like being in 10th grade and just not certain why I'm hanging out with the kids from the honor's classes... :)
I appreciate the intellect he's got going, his ground breaking work in education, & influence for good across the U.S. But sometimes combativeness for the sake of combativeness, suiting up in the Armor, may not always be the approach to take. I knew I thought it was interesting, and I'm a novice in food appreciation 101. Sad, as I am a Home Ec major. Really. I took the courses, but when it comes down to the type of real-food appreciation you all are into... I'm way behind. I am a work in progress.
You really hit the nail on the head tho, regarding taking the good out of this movie. I'm looking forward to watching, to see the homeschooling Dad's comments.
My favorite link of all today was over at Femina. She was one of the first blogs I ever read, or commented on. I was only reminded today(or last night, as it were.) why I look at other christian women's blogs at all. I'm usually brought back to my real purpose quickly, instead of wandering too far away, getting in way too deep and wishing I'd just kept quiet. Her post seemed to really hit the button regarding submission, really giving it, if it is what one says they will do. Half hearted convenient submission isn't submission at all.
It's not even 'wanna-be'. It's defiance. Hidden defiance.

Celee said...

I've read the first two Wilson books you mentioned, but not Femina. I'll have to get that one. I'll check out his blog, too. I read the In Defense of Food book a few years ago, but haven't seen the movie.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...