Saturday, January 30, 2010

Bread Pudding with Blueberries (instead of raisins)




Bread pudding... never thought I'd go wack-a-doo, for ... yes, I said bread pudding. But here in Louisiana, it's a staple, a delicacy. We had some recently at a local heavenly restaurant, Lagniappe, with blueberries. Umhmmm, I said blueberries. and that 'heavenly' sauce. 'Sauce' literally. So I went through the recipes, and voila' - c'est magnifique.


I found it in a recipe chronicle book I purchased since arriving in Louisiana, Cajun, A Culinary Tour of Louisiana. This fine cookbook has plenty of delicious recipes that include bread pudding, gumbo, & include numerous local ingredients: pecans, sweet potatoes, crawfish, shrimp, & so many combinations thereof. The photos are wonderful- full of local culture, places famous like, Breaux Bridge & Mulates. Plenty of Plantation photos, the backwater-kind.

So here's a recipe (a good stand-in) for this tasty delictable dessert. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow!! This sounds delicious. Perfect timing, since I recently purchased 30 lbs. of frozen cultivated blueberries. My family loves blueberries and one of the favorite ways that we eat it is on top of our steel-cut oats for breakfast.

Unknown said...

Okay, it LOOKS fabulous, but I've never been a bread pudding fan. But I might be tempted to try one like that!

I got a cookbook as a wedding gift (25 years ago) - it was from the Baton Rouge Junior League. I made Jambalaya and thinking of the cajuns love for "heat", I cut the cayenne in half. We STILL had to throw it out - it was FLAMING HOT - and we eat salsa like it's ice cream!

Anonymous said...

Oh my word...this looks soooooo good!!!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...