Friday, January 29, 2010

Revolutionary War on a Rainy Friday


Sounds like a treehouse title, doesn't it?

Actually, it's raining, and one of the boys is a little under the weather.

So after some other activities( we reloaded the pinecone birdfeeders with peanut butter & seed), we've hunkered down with ramen noodles(yes, I said ramen noodles) & Earl Grey Tea, for our own 'tea party' & are watching 'Johnny Tremain'.

We have enjoyed 'Liberty Kids' but this is like so many other excellent resources,'Johnny Tremain' offers another view into one amazing part of our country's history.
One resource book I found at the library has offered a great activity ideas, for now and later.
'The American Revolution, for Kids: A History with 21 Activities' by Janis Herbert. It is better for older children than mine(K-1) more for older elementary to read on their own, but for us now, it has been material for excellent read aloud learning, & some super activities, with simple instructions.
I also checked out an illustrated version of the Declaration of Independence, which really brings it to life.

I have a feeling we'll have a new song to sing for a while. Click on the emblem above to hear the 'Son's of Liberty' song from the movie.

3 comments:

Mrs. Edwards said...

I love studying that period. We were there a few years ago and watched "Johnny Tremain" as well. I'm looking forward to next year, in which we study it again. This time a few of my kids are actually old enough to read Johnny Tremain.

After we read all about the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere, etc., we gathered up some friends to stage a mock Revolutionary War battle. The point was to act out that the Patriots fought like guerillas, hiding behind trees, etc., but the Redcoats were disadvantaged by their red coats and formal battle techniques. We were rained out and had to do it in a church gym, but the boys had a grand time running around with their toy rifles and we made paper flags to wave, and played Fife and Drum music!

Enjoy your time!

Celee said...

Sounds like fun! I'll have to remember that resource next year when we study American history. I have a shirt with that snake. I guess it's supposed to mean we're defenseless alone, but together, watch out. Don't know if I still agree with that or not :) but I do agree in theory.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Join,_or_Die

This link helps to explain the symbol that originated with Ben Franklin.
It apparently changed meaning throughout the period before during and after the revolutionary war.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...