Thursday, September 17, 2009

Read Aloud's - Looking for a new Read

In my previous post, Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis, I mentioned a discussion over at Simply Charlotte Mason about 'twaddle'. I'm working on refining our homeschool efforts to incorporate interesting and excellent literature for reading aloud. The kind where they say, 'what's gonna happen next?'. I'm going to start a list in my side-bar about books we're reading at some point, but I'm sure some of them are not 'the best'. Not the worst, just not the best. One book I did find to meet my criteria for adventure & imagination was 'The Black Stallion.' It was one of my favorites, and it's main character is a boy who is shipwrecked! Jack loved it. I know it's a series, & we have read sequels, but we need to branch out. So if you have a suggestion of one really exciting book your boy's enjoyed, or one that you think mine would like, please comment. I have several book lists, some from the bloggers in my favorite's list, but I'm still looking. And will be for many days ahead.

6 comments:

Anita said...

Your boys are still very young....How about Holling C. Holling's books which cover geography. Pagoo, and 3 others, I think.

Justin Morgan Has a Horse by Margarite Henry
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham
Billy and Blaze books by CW Anderson
I love Charlotte Zolotow's picture books as well as Alvin Tressalt
My children have always enjoyed our time with Lois Lenski and Laura Ingalls Wilder.

HTH!!

You Can Call Me Jane said...

A great resource I discovered while looking for children's literature about early American history was here. Use the "look inside" feature to see the table of contents. It has some great recommendations and I am looking forward to reading some of these during our read-aloud time in the afternoons. I just love history!

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-History-Through-Childrens-Literature/dp/1563084406

June said...

My girls have always been into gentle stories, so I don't have much to offer in the way of thrills. But I do just want to say how precious our reading-aloud time is to this day. They are ten now, my twins. Our favorite time is still Mommy Reading Time, even though they are each such avid readers that they stay up until midnight, ahem, reading away.

These are the ties that bind. So tenderly.

Hope you find great stories for your read-alouds!

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Ladies, I can't thank you enough for your input. Really. I read tonight, 'Dr. Dolittle' the original unabridged, receiving the response for which I was looking.
'Mom, can we read chapter 3 first thing in the morning?'.
This book jumped out at me, because it seems to be a classic, as well as gentle, but intriguing. Seemed to peak Jack's interest, as well as stimulate his imagination.
I think this qualifies as a 'twaddle-less' read. ?

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Also, picked this up before I had time to consider the selections you recommended. Can't wait to go over suggestions more thoroughly.

argsmommy said...

My son is enjoying the Narnia books these days, but last year some of his favorites were Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Wizard of Oz, and some of the early Boxcar Children books. One of my favorite resources for literature suggestions is Honey for a Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt.

Blessings,
Kellie

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...