Saturday, September 12, 2009

Raising Fine Young Men - 'A Better Man'


Real man, fine young man, good guy... these are all terms that hold serious weight in my family. Now that I have 2 boys of my own, these terms are coming home to roost. C-SPAN Book Channel has shared an interview(I can't remember what you call this type of format) which includes the author of 'A Better Man:True American Heroes Speak to Young Men on Love, Power, Pride, and What it Means to Be a Man' and includes in the panel some of the contributors to the book.
*** We are interrupted by this excellent joke from my eldest, Jack, "what kind of vegetable do you get when a dinosaur stomps on it?" ... "Squash!" ****** Don't you love inocence?
I am reminded of a book I recently loaned to a new friend with 3 boys of her own, 5/3/4mo. 'Boy's Adrift' If there is one thing that I do not appreciate from the women's liberation movement, it is the idea that men and women are the same and equal in their make-up. Boy's are unusual, special creatures, created by God as they are meant to be. They are sadly over-medicated and regularly over-dosed on that which would sub-due them, when they are wonderful, just as they are. Yes, an exausted mother just said this. But I refuse to buy into the ideas that so rampantly run our streets.
Something to think about. Motivation for being proactive, not reactive.

2 comments:

Anita said...

you must be a friend of Roan's on fb! I am hoping she'll either email or give me a call. We are friends IRL..I just don't run like so many of my local blogging friends do!

Enjoying your blog!

Shannan Martin said...

Hoorah for letting (and teaching) boys to be boys!!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...