Thursday, September 3, 2009

Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis


As Jack has become interested in the Narnia series, I picked up a read I've long been familiar with. Do you have a stack of books that you are so familiar with but never read? Well, it's time for me to start reading those, filling my mind with excellence as I prod my own kids on to read & enjoy higher quality literature. So I jumped into 'Surprised by Joy' by C.S. Lewis. He is well-known for his numerous works of literature, of varied styles & profound contributions to faith building thought. 'Joy' is just that. He chronicles his early childhood experiences, as well as his education to present the stage for the establishment of his adult faith. Never like before has it been made more clear to me how profound early education & experience can be for a child's perspective on the world & the Creator of it.

Over at Simply Charlotte Mason, the discussion of 'twaddle' was adressed this morning. One might call it baby-talk, to an infant, but when it continues into literature presented to children, or conversation with a child of a certain age, it really seems pathetic. It is condescending & crippling. We call it 'jello' -- the kind of information that makes jello of your brain. Kids tv shows are at the top of that heap, but kids books can quickly grow that stack if one is less selective in what is presented to a child. The philosophy has been in the recent past, & I'm sure still exists,"read, read anything, just read!" Said with ardent intentions but missing the mark of excellence, this philosophy allows drivel to become the mainstay of a child's reading material-- a constant diet of 'twinkies' as one commenter said. Ever feel like that?

One blogger that has a voracious reader in her home is over at Mt. Hope Academy. He has the 18yo linebacker of readers when it comes to his appetite for books! I won't even try to start a list. I have my isolated favorites at this point that I know are quality lit, but her list in this post as well as the current reading list in the side bar are definitely worth considering.

I can't recommend 'Surprised by Joy' more, which I originally thought was about the Joy that came into his life in the movie 'Shadowlands'. Perhaps she'll appear in the end of the book, however, this book is about a much deeper Joy not personified in one idividual, but a deeper more profound sense of feeling, longing, & satisfaction. It is tied into a faith that is grounded in God and the understanding & appreciation of excellence. The references to literature & the collective effect on him as a person are rich with clarity showing how important it is to discern between the banal & the excellent.

Lewis tells in his own words how profound his exposure to literature, formal education, family life, as well as outside persons, influenced his faith, for the better & for the worse. But how he identified 'authentic Joy' is the beauty of this book. Lewis is a endearing writer, and this book has made it more clear to me why I have loved reading & referencing him for years. I wonder what other books are waiting to be discovered on my nightstand?

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I love reading anything by C. S. Lewis. Surprised by Joy is on my 'want to read' list. I need to pull that one out.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Did you leave a definition for twaddle over at SCM? I never had a word for it until I started reading Charlotte Mason. We just finished the Narnia series this summer and we've started on a couple great books (read-alouds). I'll post about them soon. I love good books:-).

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...