Friday, January 13, 2012

Norman Rockwell


Our 2nd artist for study in Fine Arts at our Monday classes of Classical Conversations will be Norman Rockwell. He's a true favorite of mine, as I'm sure he is to millions. We had a coffee table book full of his precious artistic endeavors. I looked through it a million times.
One of my favorites is a part of the series '4 Freedoms'. I can see the deliberation in this man's simple words. Thanks be to God for our freedom of speech. As I'm tutoring a class of 5 year olds, I will probably have them pose with limited costumes to get the idea of how Rockwell often worked, with live subjects, embellishing as they went. He was a master of capturing the face. Then we are to 'create our own' Rockwell style piece of work. Should be interesting.

2 comments:

Annesta said...

Oh my, Laura! Can we all say patience together? Five year olds + painting + Norman Rockwell = is it time for recess, yet? ( for you, not the kids!). Seriously it does sound like fun, just challenging.
Maybe you will post an update as to how the lesson goes. I'm interested.
Oh, and I love the saying in your header. Your so clever!
Hope your weekend is restful AND full of adventure.
Blessings
~a

Kerrie said...

fun! I'm also a fan. He was from Massachusetts, I went to his house/museum a few years ago. A lot of the docents used to be models for him as children! I hope you post the art. :)

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...