Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Five in A Row




I've talked about Five in A Row before. I have found each book to be so pleasing, and the lessons so well arranged, so natural in the progression. Sometimes we cover the concept completely. Sometimes, we just enjoy the book, and know we'll get back to it. Henry has become a lover of reading. Jack always has been, but Henry's been a slow one to enjoy the sitting still. But he does. We've enjoyed one book so much, one not of the FIAR (five in a row) list, but a sweet thought provoking book for a little guy of 5. The Relatives Came, by Cynthia Rylant, and Lottie's New Beach Towel by Petra Mathers. Both of these books were gifts, precious to us, and wonderful messages, pleasant reading, simple.




Jack is back to reading Magic Tree House Books. This time, reading on his own. He has such an adventuresome mind. I"m so thankful for his excitement, the look on his face while he pictures the story.




My favorite curriculum is evolving. My list to the side reflect current material we use, and resources in which we participate. Outside our academic work at home, Classical Conversations is a part of our week. I am tutoring Henry's class. Jack is thriving in the memory work, and enjoying the company of others during this time. I like the accountability of knowing the material each week.


We are also continuing with Tae Kwon Do, Piano, & now Soccer & Football. There is also a homeschool p.e. class offered in our county, and I'm taking full advantage of that.


August flew by, I'm sure September will too. First cool weather drifted in today. Perfect for Jack's first game & first win.


Additional resources for FIAR can be found at Homeschool Share free resources for many different curriculums & ideas.

1 comment:

Annesta said...

So happy to read about what is going on with you guys! Saying a prayer for a wonderful semester of school and life.
Blessings
~a

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...