Monday, August 2, 2010

Homeschooling - Resources for a Classical Approach


Recently I read about a book I haven't read on the subject of classical education. The Core, if you are unfamiliar is a descriptive resource book like The Well Trained Mind or Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning, but it appears more to be a mom who like myself thought there was a better way, and then uncovered the answers to her concerns. Unlike myself, she is a seasoned front-runner in the homeschool world, where as, I feel like a back-door classical educator sometimes. It's nice sometimes to reaffirm the reasons I'm 'going to all the trouble'. She captures many of my thoughts, while laying out her pattern for a practical effort at something that can sound very overwhelming at times.

Another series I'm enjoying along with the boys is The Story of The World on CD. We are utilizing Vol. 1 for the summer wrap up of Ancient history. Jack will start at Master's Academy in a week, a one day program which supplements homeschooling. He will start with the Medieval period, which I wish was the Ancient, but I am assured will be worth my time effort & money. I have only heard excellent things about this program. I think it will be good for the whole family, & for Jack in particular. 2 books I'm also using for Ancients I saw along with this when I ordered it. One is an Ancient Science book. Modern simple activities, with ancient connections. Very cool. I also ordered the Pocket book manual for Ancient cultures. Sometimes creative people just need it spelled out. Right now that'd be me.
The cd's are useful as we ride from the country to the city. And the other items are just rounding out a great summer of ancient studies on a pre-1st level.
We plan to continue withThe Story of the World along with variety of references & materials on the Medieval period that are available. I feel like I'm rushing the recommended order of what WTM by Susan Wise Bauer, suggests. ( who also wrote SOTW). But I'm working with resources at my disposal here locally. I can't turn back the clock of time, & it's going to work out fine no matter. (I wish he could have had Ancient @ Master's Academy before having Medieval) More resource discussion to follow.
Just a quick update on what consumes me in these last days of summer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laura, I hadn't heard of The Core either. I'll have to keep my eye out for it. However, we're so far into the elementary years (#2 is going into 6th and #3, the last child, will be in 3rd), that I don't feel like I can change curriculums again. I'd like to read it anyway because I'm sure I'd gain some encouragement to finish well.

I've heard good things about SOTW. I've schedule tomorrow as a day to get my lesson plans in order and clean up the classroom. School is looming ahead of us!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...