Friday, July 16, 2010

Bible Museum near Memphis TN


Smithsonian is advertising Museum Day 2010. There are numerous locations of great interest I'd visit if time, schedule & money all came together, but one I will be visiting come mid-August is one I've been to before, in fact several times.

The Biblical Resource Center & Museum is an excellent resource for historical point of reference for the Bible and all things related to the Bible. Their objective is to make the Bible more visual, more relatable regarding the world history that is widely available through secular museums. That's not their official museum statement- it's mine. I have benefitted greatly from the museums collection of Biblically significant replicas made available through such resources as the British Museum. The kind that make the skeptics sit back and take a sip of their frappacino, so someone else might comment first.

Leslie & I are meeting up in Collierville come mid-August, to visit and to celebrate our kiddo's b'days which happen to fall 5 days apart. She asked me, 'what should I do to prepare for a visit to the museum?'... I hadn't thought about this, I'm usually running errands with my Mom when I run to the museum. I might be dropping off lunch to my Dad, or running down to see B'Lou. and I often run into Jacob Shock the new Executive Director, who's credentials in Egyptology bring a whole 'nuther level of excellence to an already rockin' staff devoted to serving God through an unusual venue. But one open to all denominations & faiths, determined in their efforts to hold up and give testimony to God's Holy Word. It's accuracy, it's infalibility, it's relevance to a world standing in need.

So what did I tell Leslie? Look up their website, then read the Biblical accounts of the stories represented in the artifacts. Read about Jehu, read about Pilate, read about the Assyrians, read about the Moabites, the languages represented on the Rosetta. Then these little artifacts which may otherwise look less impressive to a 7 year old might be more significant & more memorable.

There is also an exhibit which explains How We Got the Bible.

Call ahead and schedule a group trip, or just drop by. Visit the only Bible Museum on a town square in America. You won't be disappointed.

Other attractions in the Memphis area well documented, but on the Collierville Square, there are some pleasant restaurants, amazing shops, & a beautiful park to relax. Trains line the opposite side of the square, and if you play your cards right, I think the ice cream stand that also serves super yummy burgers is down a side street, just behind the former mayor's office. (the gas station on the East side of the square).

2 comments:

homeschooldawn said...

Thanks for the link. I did not know about the museum in Collierville. Of course, I haven't been to Memphis in quite awhile. But I used to live close to Collierville. The museum sounds wonderful.

Roan said...

Laura,
I had no idea about this museum. It sounds wonderful! And to think how many times we have been to Memphis for the day for the zoo, the Children's Museum, the Pink Palace, Mud Island, Target Ha!, and we never even knew about the Bible museum. We will definitely go soon. And I will read what you recommended to the children beforehand so we can get more out of our visit.
Thanks so much!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...