Friday, May 28, 2010

Cleaning out fabric... what to do?


I am a packrat. I'm sure some of you can relate. But I have 'cleaned out' so much already, so many times... What to do with old fabric that I know I just won't use.... that's almost blasphemy around me. Any fabric can be used, but right now, it's just not a part of my life, to sew or create with fabric. If it sits too long, it becomes really dated & well, isn't fresh. Nobody enjoys it. Claire is sure that I'll never finish her quilt and at this point, she won't want to use it. It's just too.....dated.

I really love fabrics like these at Moda, & have one group of squares that would make an amazing quilt. Vanessa at V&Company is always making amazing things, shares tutorials & also sells them at Etsy. Be sure to visit the Moda Bakeshop if you sew.

3 comments:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Laura, I can relate! Not only have I picked up fabric here and there, but my best friend from high school is now an interior designer in Manhattan and gives me the most beautiful (large) fabric swatches. I cannot part with any of them! So, I'll continue to hang on to them in hopes of turning them into quilts some day.

One idea for the fabric you won't use anymore would be to find a sewing circle or women's group that makes comforters to send overseas for refugees, etc. I'm sure they wouldn't care if the patterns are outdated:-).

Kerrie said...

Ooohh...there is so much fun potential for those scraps. Do you read SouleMama? There are some great ideas on her blog, like this one:

http://www.soulemama.com/SouleMamaGratitudeWrap.pdf

What about a simple picnic quilt? I've been wanting to make on of these for a while now...I should do it quick so I can use it all summer. :)

Annesta said...

Laura,
Your post reminds me of my grandmother. She sewed beautifully. When I would visit her in the summers, we would visit the fabric store. She would pour over patterns and then peruse the fabrics for what seemed like to me hours! I would walk along beside her and she would tell me about the fabrics and what she could make out of them.
In her home she had a lot of fabric. She made beautiful quilts and kitchen towels and covered hangers and oh, I just can't recall everything. She was such a beautiful and talented person.
Hang on to your fabric. I don't think it gets outdated.
You will find a use for it.
~a

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...