Sunday, May 30, 2010

As we decide where to worship...


... I was reminded about thoughts shared by Edie @ Life in Grace in a post called 'Deeds not Creeds?'

Since moving, we have experienced 3 different churches, and 3 different experiences. What struck me about the worship was my impression of the people, the public worship & their interest in honoring God or the 'deeds', or even the display of the belief in a creed. Don't read to much into that, don't even try to figure out where or when. But do go to Edie's post, and read. I think Edie has really hit on something. No surprise... Edie's been reading. Alot.

Creed is a 'charged' word amongst those with whom I have worshipped for 43 years. You will hear it said commonly, 'we have no creed but God's holy Scripture.' Edie's post made me think about this word, so for myself I have looked it up....

Creed

1. statement of beliefs- formal summary of the principles of christian beliefs.

2. religion - a set of religious beliefs.

3. set of principles - any set of beliefs or principles.

synonyms - faith, doctrine, dogma, beliefs, creedo, article of faith.


I would have to say, one drawback to being of one particular denomination- for a long period of time, is that other groups tend to be lumped together, demonized even(horrors), for behaviors, beautiful demonstrations/actions of faith-- deeds or demonstration of their creed-- that they see directly from that same holy Revelation- God's inspired Word. That may sound naive, but think about it...(if you've known me forever, don't just wonder if I'm having a mid-life-crisis.)

If you've been traveling down the same familiar path, like myself, for sometime, think about it? Do you see other members of Christendom as your allies? or ... ? Are your discussions based on differences or places of strength in unity in faith? What happens when you've thought outside your regular parameters, but within what you believe God is pleased?

One opinion I have developed is-- christians all over are really, really examining their creed & demonstration thereof. More & more folks I meet are looking at what they really believe and how they want to spend the next years of their life in conjunction to their faith & coporate worship & religion. Perhaps it is the folks I'm talking to, those looking for simplicity, or answers even the careful homeschooler asks when it doesn't work out like they hoped & planned. (see # 5 ''what must I be/not what must I do')
Beliefs and creeds are not only demonstrated within the walls of a place of worship... If they are our creed, our real beliefs, it effects all areas of our life. It is our life.

'Amens' on this one are not requested, ... really, just thoughts that may have crossed your mind as this Sunday moves into a 3 day weekend for some.

Blessed Memorial Day- tomorrow-- blessed remembrance, today of the Ultimate Giver--


Phillipians 2:8

"Being found in the form of a man, he humbled Himself and became obedient,

even to death on the cross."
(for me)

3 comments:

{edie} said...

Christ's peace be with you in your searchings Laura! Thanks so much for your kind words!
love to you and yours,
edie

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

Beautifully written Laura. Thought provoking. Loved seeing the definition of Creed and thinking more on that. Thank you for sharing the thoughts on your heart!

Covenanter said...

What could be more heartening than to find that you're still engaged in holy struggles and that the Spirit is still provoking you over what faithfully loving your Savior and your neighbor looks like. So gratifying to rediscover you via your blog and to know straight away that He has kept you beneath the cross and in his grip.

Sola scriptura, sola fide, sola gratia, solus Christus, sola Deo gloria! (Oops -- dad-gum creed.)

Dean

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...