Thursday, January 7, 2010

EIditarod & Flying Creatures! School is in Session


We registered today, although our first activity isn't till Monday-- to make our map of the Iditarod Trail. We'll be mushing vicariously along with the teams right into Nome. I can't wait!

Jack is sure the dog on our 'button' to the left is 'Steele' the bad lead dog that thwarted Balto's efforts in the movie, 'Balto'. I love this story, and hope one day to visit both the race & the statue erected to Balto in Central Park, in NY. I assured him that alot of sled dogs look just like this, and we'll see that for ourselves as time permits.

We are also officially 'birding' these days. Must go load the feeder to attract some friendly creatures. Hope it's lots of cardinals, I love cardinals.

5 comments:

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Please post a picture of your trail map when you're done. We'll do the same. I love seeing other families' work!

argsmommy said...

I'm so excited for you -- you're going to love studying the Iditarod!

We have been putting some stuff in our birdseed to keep away the squirrels and I can't believe how many cardinals we've been seeing. I can't think of what it's called right now, but I'll let you know. Maybe I'll post about it. : )

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

WHAT....no snow day??! ha ha ha ha!!

Love Balto's story!! What a fun activity...we will have to look into that for sure!! Sounds like a lot of fun!!

Shannan Martin said...

I've been feeling a birder rising up within me....I think it may be time to take the plunge. Is 33 too young to be a birder?

"Too young". Ha. :)

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

Found the button....THANKS!!! I think we'll definitely do this. I'll let you know our musher/s when I inform the kids and gauge their interest and we create a plan!! Who knows....we might can 'race' each other :-)
ha ha!! Thanks again friend!!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...