Thursday, January 21, 2010

Boy's and Their Behavior


I have mentioned a couple of books in the past regarding boys- Boy's Adrift by Leonard Sax & Raising a Non-Violent Child by John Rosemond. These books offer excellent insight into often what concerns but most baffles parents. What is behavior that should be of a concern, the kind you need to quickly & seriously address. But what is it that still rubs me wrong, when my child 'line's me up in his site/sight?' Imaginary as that gun is, & being a proponent of the right to own guns (for use & not decoration only), It still gets old. If you have a boy, you know that they make that sound, almost as soon as they begin to suckle. That rapid fire of some weapon, that is amazing, impressive. While playing with other children, Mom's cringe all around the room, not knowing what to say (is he destined for newspaper headlines, the kind nobody wants to read? should I be concerned about letting my child play with this child, or if its mine, which it normally is, do they worry about their child playing with mine?)Because, I believe, we've been sold a gender-neutral bill of goods, wwe aren't sure of ourselves. Regarding guns as toys, there's always that first discussion, with other mom's about firearms, & usually if there's disagreement, there's usually a polite parting of the ways. It's not based on this one thing entirely, but it is a symptom of very different parenting styles. This article shares well this dilemma, & interestingly enough I think the comments display the different approaches in solutions and exemplify to lack of understanding about boys, and thus, the differences between genders. I can't tell you how many times I wish I had a mute button or a medication that would subdue the wildness that is my boys. I won't take that approach (& have had personal experience in the use & withdrawal of available drugs of this kind in a treatment situation for children I have taught). For now, I'll continue to channel it into healthy & safe channels, while teaching virtue that guides the heart.
post script- I did not purchase weapon of mass destruction(see pict)- Poppa Bob supplied the 3 boy cousins with these beauties. Henry can't even load his, but it is the weapon of choice these days, loaded or not. BTW, he's shooting at a snowman on the wall.
I didn't write this post to precipitate debate over whether or not boys & girls are different. That is an assumption one can put down in a side bar list on this blog page. However, many mom's (often myself included) have no idea how to deal with current trends, situations, conversations in public. My experience has been that the behaviors mentioned in the article above are real. I spend alot of time teaching 'gentleness'-- to what feels like, no avail. To the person who feels like these are trained behaviors, to say 'channeling into healthy & safe channels' may seem rediculous. I mostly wrote it because I think the lady at First Things who wrote this article titled The Killer Instinct was watching me the other day. And had me in mind when she wrote this article. Perhaps you'll glean something that helps you too.

3 comments:

Mrs. Edwards said...

I'll have to read some of those books you recommend, for while I do not like to forbid my boys from playing war, spies, and other shooting games, sometimes I too have misgivings.

All in all, I'm convinced that it is healthy for young boys to act out in pretend all manner of fantasies, whether it be as the curator of a museum (Lane's current imaginary pastime) or as a stealing pirate or a shooting cowboy, or even a bad guy. Just as with girls, pretend play gives children the healthy experience of trying out different experiences and (I'm not expert here) I think it helps them develop normally. I am far more frightened about sowing violent tendencies in boys through video game virtual violence. It seems to me that while some parents ban weapons from pretend play, they turn a blind eye to whatever violence goes on in video games, which is far more destructive to a boys' development (I think). Pretend play, in contrast, is driven by the boy's imagination, fueled by his reading, television/movie viewing, or life experience.

For boys, it is important that they imagine themselves fighting evil, being courageous, and facing danger. Likewise, pretending to be the bad guy now and then doesn't mean they will turn out as the bad guy and more than they will be firemen or museum curators, but they can act out the experience and imagine what it would be like.

Thanks for this post and the helpful books.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

It's that 'blind eye' I wish not to have. Still in the proverbial trenches of parenting, I struggle with the 'alien' that 'First Things' describes, trying not to squelch something that so naturally comes to boys.
For today, we're headed to a historic home where I hope Jack, with friends from his art class, who happen to be girls, will imagine they are like John James Audubon, and chronicle some serious bird watching. I know it's not a deep adventure in peril, but somebody's got to understand bird migration... I hope also, when he brings out the imaginary guns, while we walk down these gentle paths, that I will 'channel' those teachable moments into one's that might evoke protection & valor for a good cause. Watershed moment, maybe not, but perhaps a single stone on which to build.
Sincere thanks for your comments.

Mrs. Edwards said...

I just spotted a typo in my comment. Make that "...doesn't mean they will turn out as the bad guy ANY more than they will be firemen or museum curators..."

Sounds like a great field trip. Lane (7yo) loves to draw and our study of Audubon kept him going for at least a week with art and pretend.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...