Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thoughts, Actions, Habits, Character, Destiny

You've heard it before....

Thoughts produce action,
Actions produce habits,
Habits produce Character,
Character determines Destiny.


It's New Years Eve, I'm listening/watching 'A Christmas Carol' (at my mother-in-law's house with my family, and enjoying a warm, cozy fire.) And of course one begins to take count of one's life, when watching/reading stories like this. We've been reading the unabridged version of 'A Christmas Carol,' and taking thought of why such spirits would come to a single man. What were the spirits trying to tell Scrooge. Even a 6 year old can understand it's important how we spend our time,what thoughts we put into our minds, what we allow into our souls, via the images and words available for our consumption. What we allow our souls to dwell upon...

This year....
I will continue to be thankful for One Thousand Gifts & wanted to take note that I have a voice to read to my children.(16) So often I take it for granted. Stupid of me. It takes 're-programming' one's thoughts to look at such simple things differently. To stop negative 'voices' in my head-- I call it 'smack talk' that leads to serious negativity. I can do it all on my own,... that's the bad news. The Good News is He will help me to 'take every thought captive'.

I haven't determined one word, but this writer has been doing this for 3 years, and has presented her 'word' for 2010. Go there. Last year Mt. HOpe Academy (see her in my favorite blogs in the sidebar) presented us with 'Lovely'. It was inspiring to me. Amazing how contagious thoughts are...

2 comments:

Shannan Martin said...

I keep thinking and thinking about my word (love that ideas!) and I can't decide which one to use...and Jan. 1st is almost over. Eeek! Maybe my word should be "decisive". :)

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

I did the word last year....still contemplating this year. But how funny this is, because I was just thinking over the word 'lovely'. This summer a friend of mine in Honduras told me one day I looked "lovely" and it honestly took me back. I don't know, it just sounded like it had such meaning behind it. I mean really...how often do we hear that word used in general conversation any more? I don't often at all. Well I didn't. And it had just rolled off her tongue (and suited her). And I just loved the sound of it....so I looked for things at first to use that word to describe, but found it wasn't hard at all...and sitting here tonight looking over my year I was just giggling and writing my friend, Sara, a note because I now use that word all the time!! It's a wonderfully contagious word for sure!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...