Saturday, December 19, 2009

Blessings


I've struggled for years with the concept of blessings. And now that I'm counting them, I'm beginning to see a pattern. Yes, these are from God. All blessings, I believe flow from God, but are all blessings directly handed from Him to us? After I mentioned adoption, in this post, I began to develop a thesis in my head. It goes like this. A blessing may be directly from God, such as His Redemptive work through Christ, Christ giving his life ransom for ours. No small thing. Undoubtedly the Greatest Gift.


But seeing a blessing, such as adoption, the conveyance of the responsibility of care for a child from one human to another, is all human kindness-- or is it?


In our home at night we sing 3 songs, You are my sunshine, I see the moon, & twinkle twinkle. Then we pray. But back to the songs... I started thinking about that moon song... why are we singing about the heavenly lights? One of them doesn't even shine on it's own... ah.. there's the thesis. Blessings conveyed through humans are a reflection of the Light shining on us. All along the way, when you adopt, you run into people who look at the bigger picture, who bend over backwards, to do the right thing, to be a part of the blessing, because of goodness shining in their heart, whether they know it or not.


So as I count my blessings, along with the Grattitude Community--One Thousand Gifts this is what I'll be thinking about. This may seem so obvious, so obvious to others, but Ann was right, counting gifts can open your eyes, and make you think, not about the gift, but the Giver and how He works in our lives. Today.
p.s. Go there today to see a journal & insights from one who has reached 1000.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God's ways are not our ways and He uses everything to glorify Himself and bless those who love Him (Rom. 8:28). Being able to "see" Him working through a thankful heart is one of those blessings!

Thanks for sharing some really good thoughts!pretted

Jenny said...

Not about the gift, but the giver...this makes me think of all the handmade goodies from my children, playing "what is it?" with a delighted child!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...