Monday, November 23, 2009

Contemplation & Reflection

I was priviledged to attend a funeral today, as unwelcome as the event was. I have been blessed with a new friend as this school year started, whose mother was taken abrubtly, through tragic accident, from this earthly walk just 4 short days ago. It seems unreal that the events have transpired, yet they have. My heart has been broken, for the loss she feels, but blessed by the sharpened focus I gained on the blessing of mothers & the example hers was in this life. 'Oma'(Dutch for grandmother) was so many things to so many. There was no dry eye in the room. No heart not touched. So many kind things said by those who knew her best and those who knew her even only a little while. But each person expressed their observation of her as a servant/leader. She was. She was a wife, mother, grandmother, sister, friend, mentor, civic volunteer-- demonstrating the love of Jesus, in every action, in each role.
I am convicted, yet again, to try harder, to trust in my Lord only, and to do what I can as the Lord makes opportunity. May the Lord bless this family, as they pick up the pieces and face the day tomorrow. May God hold them, each one in His powerful hands, to comfort them, when the moment of need comes.

3 comments:

argsmommy said...

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss -- you are all in my prayers. I have been to very few funerals in my life, but it is certainly different when the person who died was such a servant of Christ, like you have described. Even I'm encouraged, just having read your post, to follow and trust the Lord better today.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words. I am another daughter (your friend's sister). I just read your post out loud to our family and we are extremely touched that mom's funeral service spoke so clearly of her life in Christ even to you who never met her. We grieve but not as those without hope. Tomorrow we will give thanks to God for our many blessings.

Anita said...

Hubby and daughter had to make a quick trip to Memphis today! We love Shiloh!! Memphis is just 1 1/2 hours from us and Shiloh is about the same, I think! Hope you had a great trip. Thankfully, we were at home. We traveled so much in Oct. (we were only home one weekend) that it was especially good to be home!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...