Saturday, October 4, 2008

Valentine's idea for showing family Love




Our kiddos are so sweet, but oh how hard it is to get a really good posed picture. Eric says it doesn't matter, but once in a while it would be nice. I'm pushed to the brink sometimes, but then I have to think about 'what really matters'.























I found this wonderful passage in a search for a good parenting -paraphrase


Love never gives up.


Love cares more for others than for self.


Love doesn't want what it doesn't have.


Love doesn't strut,


Doesn't have a swelled head,


Doesn't force itself on others,


Isn't always “me first,”


Doesn't fly off the handle,


Doesn't keep score of the sins of others,


Doesn't revel when others grovel,


Takes pleasure in the flowering of truth,


Puts up with anything,


Trusts God always,


Always looks for the best,


Never looks back,


But keeps going to the end.




Please see the following link for all the ideas regarding the month of February & Valentines ideas. Great stuff, can't wait to search the site!





I'm still looking for one with specifics regarding parents, a paraphrase of I Cor. 13, so send me links or your own ideas for even a verse of this wonderful chapter.


The first paragraph below is another paraphrase I found (see link for source).

Love is slow to lose patience,
it looks for a way to be constructive,
it is not possessive,
it is not anxious to impress,
nor does it pursue selfish advantage.
It is not touchy,
it does not keep record of wrongs,
or gloat over the faults of others,
on the contrary,
it is glad when truth prevails.
Love knows no limits to its endurance,
no end to its trust, no fading of its hope.
It can outlast anything.
It is, in fact, the only thing that still stands when all else has fallen.”

Please click on link to see origin of these beautiful selected verses & paraphrase of
I Corinthians 13

I have used this to attempt to create my own parenting paraphrase of this powerful chapter.

Though I have produced all documentation & reference to validate my right to legally parent a child,
And though I could scrapbook & create the most noteworthy announcement of the birth of our child,
And dress them in the most flattering clothing for their genetic coloring,
But haven’t considered what God wants me to provide for my children, I am hopeless.

And though I have read every book on parenting, and deciphered & determined what will help me implement God’s plans,

And have written a brilliant mission statement for our family, saved to our computer,

And have confidence that I can will this plan to work with or without my husband’s assistance,

But do not demonstrate my commitment through day to day loving effort (even with all of my gifts and talents)

I am hopeless & and leading our family into a wilderness with no hope of return.

Love doesn’t expect children to understand the mission statement
It demonstrates & guides through simple daily activities to established Godly values in their hearts

Love doesn’t envy other parents whose children are cooperating in the grocery store
Or the family with the new play system in their yard.

Love does not boast claiming a child’s accomplishment as my own.

Love shares its confidence in our Creator & the origin of all love

Love offers a heritage built on God’s principles and values
And who we are in Christ

It teaches the first shall be last, by not favoring the squeaky wheel(even though it would shut them up), the biggest, oldest, loudest, quickest.

Love does not exaggerate by using words like ‘always’.
Love remembers to acknowledge accomplishment.

Love does not delight in evil or embrace justification or excuses. “boy’s will be boy’s”

Love doesn’t buy new tennis shoes and ignore the (tedious ) lesson in shoe-tying.

A loving parent isn’t a child’s best friend, but shows what a friend is.

Love will read ‘Brown Bear’ 1 million times.

Love will stick to bedtime rituals and be there for songs & prayers.

Love practices tough love when it would be easier to ‘let it go.’

Love proactively creates a plan an patiently waits as family gets on board instead of keeping a tally of how many times spouse messes up plan.

Love keeps no record of wrong, but helps child own mistakes training them to be responsible.

Love confidently looks into the future, even though it may not live to see their children’s greatest accomplishments- the fruits of their labor as a parent.


Love does not complain, (no matter how much responsibility is generated by parenthood), but seeks the opportunity to serve mankind by training children who will seek to be good citizens.

Love has reasonable expectations that are attainable.

Love is able to say ‘no’.

Though we cannot see how we will pay every bill, or how we will explain our sick day to our boss, or how we can explain divorce or untimely death, Love will overcome because it comes from the source of all light and leads to the source of endless Love.


This is a work in progress.. with lots of gramatical & order errors... but its a jumping off point.
I have tried to be as respectful of scripture as I can. Its such a wonderful passage as it is, but this personalized it a little more for me.


See what you can come up with- leave your comments & additional thoughts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! We really enjoyed your paraphrase!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...