Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Children of Green Knowe - A Book Review of Sorts














Jack has been listening to this series on CD, and really enjoying it. (We just finished The Treasure of Green Knowe )I have listened while we're in the car, and sometimes in our kitchen, and enjoyed the simplicity and wholesomeness. The reader has a wonderful voice presence and the story generates creative play. It is reminiscent of The Secret Garden, and many of the books that involve siblings who create the story for a unique house, such as the children in the Narnia series(not to understate the excellence of Narnia books.) The animals & relation to nature in the book is just enough to engage my young boy, to stimulate outdoor play, incorporating the characters such as Tolly & Linnet in his own stories.

There are characters in the book that are 'from the past', that could be called ghosts, however, they aren't called ghosts. Tolly, the lead character, is not in the least scared,-- this is not a scary story. These children become friends with Tolly, and the adventures at Green Knowe begin. Tolly has come to live here through loss, but discovers a family who gives him a sense of place & home.


There is an enormous amount of reference to the creatures & natural surroundings. Birds, bugs & all sorts of critters.


The vocabulary is stimulating and the prose a cut above. It is an enjoyable read/listen for kids and adults alike.

My use of the CD's are mostly for diversity in language & vocabulary. Also for the imaginary play. The sheer enjoyment factor. I'm not ready to call this 'excellent' literature, (I still haven't read 'Roxaboxen'.) Comparitively the main character lends a view into how one might entertain & spend days if there were no parents to guide, similar in ways to 'The Secret Garden'. Little Mary Lenox, certainly needed a dose of parenting, but historically that didn't always happen. She was sassy, smart mouthed, and had been allowed arrogance to be her leading character trait. Tolly lends another, gentler manner to the child who must fend for his personal growth & character.

There are all sorts of references to kindnesses to siblings, teaching & caring for each other. I really enjoy that.

I would have written a better description of this book, shared more quotes, but I only checked out the Cd's. Yet another reason to actually read the hardcopy book. I love books.

In a comparison of simply entertaining media- actually having a child request stopping by the library to get the next set of Cd's-- Jack is always up for one of the 'Cowboy Dog' series, which I have begun to refuse.

(Homeschool Dawn shared an excellent review about Hank the Cowdog at her site)

The last Cowboy Dog Cd had a song which was titled 'Be a Winner'. It was full of catchy tongue & cheek phrases which I heard for the next few days. Most of the song suggested sportsmanship was over rated & cheating was ok, as long as you won. I know the writer did not intend for the sentiment to be what the child chants in the car, house or school, but he did, & I didn't like it.

So, 'Cowboy Dog' is off our listening/reading list. I'm all for chanting something far more noble.


Take-away- not a classic in our books yet, but seriously good food for imagination and exposure to nature as a daily part of life.



Related Post #1




Related Post #2

1 comment:

Trisha said...

I'm new to your blog! Glad to hear that others, too, aren't too crazy about Hank. :) I remember the first time we listened to it, and I was confused as to why homeschoolers, especially, are so crazy about it. I'll have to check out The Treasure of Green Knowe.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...