Saturday, February 13, 2010

'The Children of Green Knowe' - Simple Living at the Libary


In an effort to cut spending down, I'm in a STOP mode of buying ANY new books or homeschool literature. Since Jan 1. (I also declared I wouldn't go to the mall, or eat junior mints. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.... )

So the library is my new hangout, on the internet & in person. I am shopping the web for our freebie book reserves, and walking in the doors to receive a stack of pre-selected books. For which I do not have to pay a cent. Now you may be saying, what took you so long? But you must understand, my genetic make-up doesn't allow for passing a bookstore with-out dropping a dime/$40. Serious di-lemmer, when you're on a budget, n'est pas? My family are experts in the 'law of book justification'. We can find reason-a-plenty for new book. New, used, yard-sale, doesn't matter, new reading material is the drug of choice in my family of origin. Hi, my name is Laura, & I'm a book-a-holic.

So this is big for me... bear with the slow-learner.

So, I brought home a book on tape for Jack today, with out research. Just one I'd never noticed. Turns out it's book-turned-British-TV. Usually anything that's BBC holds a special place in my heart, I grew up on fuzzy PBS. and this one aired my freshman year of college. The Children of Green Knowe, by L.M. Boston is the first in a series of 6 that were later made into television. The Green Knowe is a Manor with it's own great history worth investigating for a little background to the story.

I'm not sure of it's integrity as books go, but as I do the homework to determine this, I'll be appreciating the library systems across the land that bring so much to a community.
I'm interested in youre thoughts on the book if you've ever read! Thanks!

4 comments:

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

I haven't read it but look forward to hearing what you think or what others have thought.

But seriously....give up junior mints??? Girl there are days that a box of junior mints at the register (snuck in when the kids aren't look) is what keeps me sane. Sigh....sad i know. But there is just something about a junior mint!!! I'll make my own laundry soap, use fabric napkins, etc etc...but please please I don't think I could bear a life without junior mints!!

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

ING...when the kids aren't "LOOKING" is what it should say :-)

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I've never heard of this book either, but I can totally relate to your book-buying:-). I don't buy shoes, make-up or jewelry. I buy books. I, too, have been trying to put a damper on my book-buying. I've started keeping a balance. When I under-spend on the grocery budget or get money from stuff I take to consignment or sell on ebay, it goes in my book budget and from there I can spend. So far, it's going pretty well.

Please let us know more about the books- they look interesting!

Unknown said...

First, I must confess that we, too, are a family of bibliophiles! And the thought of a kindle to most of us is abhorrent!! How can you snuggle up with an electronic device and appreciate it's beauty, smell, and feel? It just seems so cold and lifeless. (I knew we were kindred spirits!).

Second, I've not heard of this book, but you have me totally curious! I'll be asking around at church!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...