Saturday, March 6, 2010

Iditarod & Alaska Reading for Adults





Some years ago, my Dad handed me this book. It was one I'll never part with. It is a beautiful love story, with history from the same wild state as the Iditarod --Alaska.

If I ever travel to Alaska, I'll go to Chicken. I'll look for the places in this book. The warm firebox style homes that nurtured souls in such a barren land. And hope that I happen upon a storyteller who knew Ann Hobbs.












We've also read 'The Great Serum Race'

an excellent, but less complicated version of the origin of the Iditarod. We are following the race using eIditarod and have chosen our musher, a rookie, 'Middie' Johnson #35, grandson of Henry Ivanoff, who handed the serum package to Leonhard Seppala. Seppala mushed twice as long as any other sled team in this amazing story. Seppala's dog Togo is the star of this book, and it tells what really happened and why Balto is more well known.

We are rooting for an Alaskan, and hoping genetics plays to our odds! Go Middie!

By the way, I heard that you can view the race somewhat through google earth. Hope it's not a wilderness legend...








4 comments:

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

Oh I'll have to look for that book when we go to the library Friday!!
I've not looked on Google earth yet, but we've been tracking like crazy and I've been amazed that we can barely keep up. ha ha!!

So fun!! THANKS again for the heads up on this one!!
Our map is on our chalkboard wall. I got some chalk markers and that's been a nice simple approach and seems to have worked well!!! I was a bit worried, but it's worked...HOORAY!!

Annesta said...

Laura,
I saw a piece on the news about the Iditarod and thought of you because I remembered seeing a link on your blog. I will have to follow, too, so I can keep up.
My mom and I went to Alaska about 6 years ago but we didn't do enough land touring. We were on a cruise. If I am ever blessed to go again, I will definitely skip the cruise and visit the country.
I can't wait to read your post about that race.

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

Just saw how well Middie is doing!! whoohooo!! that's great!!! Fun fun!!

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I've read Tisha and it is a wonderful book. I can't wait to read it to the kids one day.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...