Sunday, June 16, 2024

Start with Day 1, Think Progress & Father's Day

 Thinking of and remembering Dad is easy for me. There is not a day I don't think of him and his simple ways and habits. Dad's accomplishments were that of a great culmination of a life well spent, often found in the 'NSV.' Non-Scale-Victory. His ways were quiet but not effortless. Humble but not without impact. Watching him through the years, we were not always aware of his goals so often marked by his personal declaration of 'day 1.' Looking through his personal books and journals though,  you can see, by dates and arrows, exclamations & 3-color ink, that there was an intentional effort toward progress in this unique man and his life's plan.

Some may have referred to him as a professional student. But as a man who chose to provide for his family, classes with names like 'Ancient History, ' and 'Aramaic 201' were to be accomplished in the margins of daily life. I forget if it was 5 or 7 languages he'd studied and became fluent with, but it was the Scriptures he was most well acquainted--the words, the nuances, the translations. He took his time, took notes, took an interest and profoundly progressed through, quite literally, a world of knowledge. 

Ultimately, if someone remembers Dad, most would say he was influential in their lives, and usually for the better. I know he offered, in moments of great need, comfort and guidance, to those who may not have had a friend or a father to converse with. He was someone who listened and offered wise advice, grace and even tough love, when needed. 

Dad did accomplish one of his personal goals, graduating with excellence & highest marks, with a PhD. (Dad and Mom graduated the same year, ages 72 and 71. It was a remarkable summer; they are both remarkable people.) But it all started with the first step. Back at the beginning of his secondary education, and at the beginning of his life's preaching and teaching career, Dad's speech and communications instructor in his undergraduate studies remarked about one of his assignments was 'one of the best speeches I've had in any class.'  I believe by this time, Dad was preaching at Temple Terrace Church of Christ, Temple Terrace, Fl. married to Mom, and Drake on the way. I see this relic of a homework page and take a mental note: 'Day 1, Day 2, Day 3... Day 20,440...' about the number of days from age 20 to 76. 




I'm deeply thankful for my Dad. His notable and simple habits which guided his humble life are those I miss the most. I miss his brilliant sense of humor, but also his serious and deeply wise moments of insight. When I see him dressed in graduation robes, it is the daily, weekly, quieter moments that brought him to that day that I will reflect on just now. It is the finishing of the drill, one more parsing of a phrase, and one more effort to progress daily that I see the culmination of in this particular and profound moment of success for him.  

If death were no barrier-- Today--I would offer my greatest salutations, all the pomp & circumstance one could muster, and beam with smiling face full of pride for the complete man and father that he was. 

Dad upon receiving his Doctorate in Religious Studies. 2013


LKBS 

Father's Day 6/16/2024

No comments:

Start with Day 1, Think Progress & Father's Day

 Thinking of and remembering Dad is easy for me. There is not a day I don't think of him and his simple ways and habits. Dad's accom...