Wednesday, March 20, 2019

March 2019 ~ Mercy At the Speed of Hiking

I believe the sun rising signals the start of the day. 
I believe the seasons are a blessing. 
I believe our bodies are made for the speed of walking
 and our souls for running, 
towards God's goodness and away from evil. 
I believe in God's divine plans for me and all creation. 
So I'll savor the sunrise and give thanks. 

When life begins to move too fast, I'm thankful for the new habit of walking. This morning I walked our local park whose trees you can just see on the left. It's more open and I can choose how far and which direction to gather the best view. Today I chose to walk in the sunshine, as it's still cold. It is my current chosen physical 'labor' I think Edie calls it, as we don't have the same amount of physical movement in our sedentary lives as our ancestors. 
Our hike this weekend was breathtaking. We visited Tallulah Gorge, about an hour and a half away from home. I went specifically to cross the suspension bridge, to revisit a place that causes great fear. We can do hard things. It's needful to push into things that challenge us, and this time it wasn't the height but the number of ascending and descending steps. My calves haven't had that kind of workout in a while. The best was this picture. All four of us collected of free will in one photo for posterity. 
We did it. #ihike2019 8/52, in the books. 
Laura, Jack 15, Eric, Henry 12 
Tallulah Gorge 2019

'Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
His mercy endures for ever.
...
I called on the Lord in distress;
The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
the Lord is on my side; I will not fear. 
What can man do to me?' 
from ~   Psalm 118


No comments:

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...