Thursday, December 29, 2011

House Renovation & Care


The home we bought and now live in had been empty off and on for about 5 years. It had been a family home which turned into a rental. Eventually it became a foreclosure. A house that hasn't been lived in comes with less than joyful delayed surprises. However, this house after 6 months seems to be in pretty good shape. The obvious issues were resolved within a few weeks. We refinished the floors, removing old carpeting, and changed all the door hardware. Many of the locks on the windows were busted, which we have slowly changed, as cold air was coming in at season change.
We also have some issues with air conditioning equipment access. Eric has a vast HVAC wealth of knowledge, along with his other areas of mechanical engineering. So he knows exactly what needs to be done. We had a drain in the attic which terminated into the eves of the house. Inside the house. This was an all-nighter in the middle of the summer. But now it's fixed. Also the access to the attic, where the monthly filter change is located, had no access steps or stairs. Eric installed a telescopic ladder for access.
Few cosmetic changes have been done, although the hardwoods and the door hardware were incidental cosmetic upgrades. The floors were a mess. The door hardware was mismatched and completely beaten up. Painting has been a minimum, but now it's becoming a necessity.
Enter Pinterest.
Like everybody else, I've been enjoying Pinterest the vortext of creativity & magazine page enjoyment. But I've been using for purpose as well. Yesterday when it came down to deciding exterior paint colors, I searched it and came up with this. The colors aren't up-close, but I could see how the darker color & the trim would work together. Our house is so pale and washed out, and we both want bold colors. The color is a side benefit of the protection it offers from the elements. (All this discussion reminds me of John Grisham's book 'A Painted House'.) So far I've chose 7545 Pier by Sherwin William. I am fortunate that SW has a store closeby, but I've always preferred them for paint.
I've also finally selected a paint color for our anemic bedroom. Silvermist one of SW's new colors in the architectural series, is a nice diversion. More on that later.
Off to paint...

1 comment:

Annesta said...

Hi Laura,
It's so nice to read about your renovations. I'm always a mess when I have pick out paint because I have a hard time deciding.
I know it will all come together and look simply lovely. You will be posting pictures on pintrest and others will be repining!
Happy painting
~a

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...