Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Classical Music & the Classical Child

As I listen to Pandora.com, (a Maroon 5 station I created on my site), I'm also creating a Music Timeline for over the piano in our schoolroom. Yes, I said schoolroom for after I saw Mt.HOpes big 'reveal', I just had to do something about the abyss. Moving does nothing for the beauty of a schoolroom. So, I whipped out my handy 'The Story of the Orchestra', by Robert Levine, and started xeroxing, on my color copier that needs new cartridges. The little joys of homeschooling...


But keep it simple is the motto. In more than one way. Use what you have(if it's usable) and use the familiar. Jack & I have read through and worked through the CD of this book, and the pictures are precious. So there you go. Yes, copyright laws were broken. There will be no mass production or liscencing of the copied items, so I think I'm safe. Anyway, Back to keeping it simple. There are 2 biggies, when it comes to periods of 'Classical Music'. Baroque and Classical. Those are the road pavers for Western Music. How simple is that? When you're trying to apply this idea of understanding the classics, all music on a public radio station that sounds like Mozart (because there aren't words) isn't necessarily Mozart. If you help your child differentiate between anything in the 'not-modern' music world, help them with this. There is a whole different sound, as different as Maroon 5 & James Taylor. or for that matter Taylor Swift.


So, I copy, I paste, I post on the wall for the kid. He really rocks the music from Mozart to Bill Monroe. Not to mention a little Maroon 5. Or Third Day. But the boy knows Mozart & Bach had way different skills. Likewise, Henry enjoys a good tune. There is hope!


Love, love, love music.

1 comment:

Annesta said...

Love it! Such a wonderfully well rounded education! Such a great momma...
Hugs
~a

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...