Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chickens, School, Weddings

Outside school activities are almost over for our academic year. We'll continue to read and stay active in simple math so it's all not lost for the fall. We are on board for Classical Conversations, But we plan to enjoy the summer! I'm very excited to know what the summer might bring. Having a plan & knowing what might come our way is reassuring. We haven't decided on 'property' perse, but a home in a neighborhood. Yes, my little homestead will be in a neighborhood. So I've been reading 'Urban Gardener' & 'Backyard Homestead' to rethink the plan. But good principles translate if they really are your principles. So the challenge is on.
We enjoyed a wedding in Baton Rouge & visiting friends back in the neighborhood. It was great to watch the kids really wear themselves out.
I promised the boys chickens the day we got back. And I kept my promise. Even before Easter, which meant an overnight trip. Aracona and Silver-laced Wyandotts.
We are enjoying watching 3 week old chickens play, eat & sleep. The boys have named them all, even tho I have no idea which is which. Eric made a brooding box, complete with lid & light, & then spend the day in our mini-fenced garden area when we're home & it's warm. They love bugs. I don't know if that's good for them as young as they are, but I figure if they were free-range hatched, they'd be eating plenty of bugs along with they're mash.
I'm optimistic that our chickens will not cause a stir in the new neighborhood, but we plan to be good neighbors. No matter what. There will be lots of projects to do around the house, and I'd rather us get settled more than we have been than worry about chickens. Really.
Priorities come to light, you do what you gotta do.
the bad news... my computer won't be back till next week, so pictures of my chicks will have to wait. Coming soon, tho! Homeschool curriculum update coming soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear that you are narrowing down where you will live. Don't forget to check the zoning ordinances so as to make sure they allow what you want to do. And don't forget things you MIGHT want to do in the future = 4H projects, wild schemes, etc! LOL!!

Annesta said...

When I was growing up we had chickens. I loved gathering the eggs. I'm sure your boys will, too. Will enjoy seeing pictures and i continue to pray for your new house. It will be amazing as it will be hand picked by God just for your family.
Hugs,
~a

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...