Thursday, December 16, 2010

I Have a Song ~

the view from Newcomb Kitchen sink... where I 'sang' many a song....


I was reminded today talking to my best friend, I didn't talk till I was about 3. It was thought I was, well, slow. Perhaps I am, on many fronts for reasons other than ability, but none-the-less, I didn't say much. My brother was a talker. Still is, and these days he has alot to say, and most of the time, it's worth a listen. But back in the day, I had to fight to get a word in edgewise.
One day when my parents were tape recording us, I spoke up, with intrepid determination,


~ 'I have a song' ~


For years, my Dad has hounded me to write that book,
for I surely won't sing it.

But if there ever was a song, it is because my parents put it there.

Their integrity of heart is demonstrated today,

by the anniversary of 50 years of marriage.


They'll shoot me if you call them or throw a last minute surprise party, I'm so immature, I'm still a little fearful to post this. But some things must be noted. If you've seen anything in this blog worthwhile, it was probably encouraged by my parents, and the steadfast encouragement of their children. Whatever you've seen in their children that stands lacking, it's been because they know the best lessons are learned through experience, not because they didn't try.....


I love my parents, but I'm not alone. I'm thankful for the many & numerous moments they have encouraged many a soul along the path of life. Their dedication to their collective & individual interests or callings have stirred in me often, a melody that can keep me humming about the most mundane of times. I can hear their prayers, I can see their affection for one another. I know their moments of challenge, but most of all I know they have a dedicated love, unsurpassed. They are not perfect - who of us is? I know their weaknesses, their quirks, but they know the dearest of each other & keep that precious to themselves. And that has been a chorus liken to the most beautiful sung by the Mormons in their tabernacle, I can play over & over in my mind.


I thank you Mom & Dad for the 50 years. I celebrate you today, while Jack plays 'Good King Wencellas' tonight, know I appreciate it, because indeed, you did put a song in my heart.


Perhaps if we weren't so 'English' but more 'Celtic' I'd sing 'my song' like this.... love you both...

2 comments:

Annesta said...

Pass the kleenex, Laura! What a beautiful post. Congratulations to your parents for their faithfulness to God and to each other. It is truly an accomplishment and a reason to sing. My parents made 54 years together before my daddy went home to be with Jesus for some much needed rest. My mom misses him every second of the day and longs for the day that they will once again be reunited with Jesus.
I have to say from all that I have read and witnessed on your blog, your parents did a mighty fine job bringing you up to be a godly woman.
blessings
~a

Anonymous said...

What a lovely tribute to them!! And Celtic Woman Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring...one of my favorites!!
I too have been exceedingly blessed with parents devoted to God, Church, Each other and their family....and it deserves a song!! It deserves the thank yous and most definitely to be noted!!!

Much love

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...