Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bluegrass, 4th of July, & a Confession





So it was a country 4th of July, parades with horses & big trucks, bands and Boy Scouts, re-enactors & church floats. We found ourselves at a wonderful party after church on Sunday where Henry got to ride his first donkey. Well he was actually able to sit on the donkey after he decided he was 'done'. Stubborn they are. I made chocolate pies with my mother's secret recipe from Dimple Clouse. (wish I could share). I called it my 'First Try, Lumpy Pie'. But it tasted good.






Confession time... my boys held chickens for the first time, before I did. That's right, all my chicken talk has been, well, hypothetical. We are almost there, almost chicken owners. And I've never even held one, till July 3, 2010. You think about it, those legs can be a little intimidating. But these sweet girls were just precious, gentle, soft. I've died and gone to chicken heaven. I have to admit, I kept noticing how it felt like that package of chicken in the grocery, but I have no qualms about the chickens being used for a tasty Sunday dinner. For Jack, the jury is still out. He continues to suggest we could just keep them for eggs. I don't argue. He's a precious boy. The look on Henry's face really says it all. He was completely taken with chickens, horses, ponies, pigs(which I handled well through all the squealing & screaming.)He's a farm boy, and he didn't even know it.

These guys(below) played and played unthwarted by the loud trains that would pass right in the middle of their playing. Eric works with one of the fellows in the band. They had a wonderful sound and an even better message.


So we find ourselves mid July, looking forward to school. I'm excited for the seasons to change, to see fall leaves. Have pumpkins and wear a sweater. Read 'If You Give a Moose a Muffin.' Yep, I'm ready for Fall. But birthday's are just around the corner, so I better wait till August has come & gone before shifting gears. Feeling so blessed. So thankful.

4 comments:

Annesta said...

Hello Laura,
What a wonderful 4th celebration you had...and those pies, seriously, they look delicious!
I had to laugh at your chicken confession! We had chickens when I was growing up, so I know all about gathering eggs and then having them for a lovely dinner.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
~a

Kerrie said...

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing your pictures, the donkey one is great! P.S. I would have LOVED to photograph your wedding. :)

Roan said...

My oldest daughter wants chickens and cows! But not me! I do have a good friend with milk cows, but I have yet to get any milk from her....she lives 30 minutes away, so it really isn't convenient to run by! But, I just found out that the young man across the highway has chickens--the kind that lay eggs. So, I plan to start buying my eggs from him. I haven't even told my daughter yet. She will be thrilled!
I hope your chicken experience is super! :)

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

hee hee!! I've never held more than a chick either. shhhh....

John Mark has. But not me!

I just found out our local 4-H is looking for poultry judges. I'm thinking about volunteering just to gain some knowledge and experience and working that much closer to being prepared once we are able to get on some land!! We'll see.....
having fun catching up on blog reading and seeing all your fun pictures!!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...