Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Educating the Whole Hearted Child


Anita at Busy Hands Busy Minds was reviewing this a while back. And although she has been schooling way more kids for way longer than I have, we both found ourselves wondering why we'd never read this. I think she has better excuses. (smile) But at last, one of the 4 books I have purchased since new years, has come in the mail and I've already begun to glean good stuff.

Years ago, 13 roughly, I had a copy of Susan Schaeffer Macauley's book, 'For the Children's Sake'. I had no idea I'd desire to homeschool my children, but there it was. Had no idea this book would reappear in a quote from her book in Educating the Whole Hearted Child. But there it was, a quote that made me think of my recent Barnes & Noble Incident.


'And so, over-entertained, pushed, pulled, and tidied up, often the child of today has the rich creative play-response crushed out. Sometimes the only thing his dulled eyes focus on is a premature adolescence which will relase him from childhood.'

2 comments:

keLi said...

What a great quote -- so true. As a teacher, my mailbox is full of "recommended reads" that I mostly pass up, but this one sounds like it's worth the time. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

This is one I've been wanting to read for a while. Glad to hear it's good!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...