Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Five in A Row - Reading & Learning


My friend Leslie has been hounding me, I think before we had kids to start Five in A Row. I keep telling her to start a blog about her experiences reading with this program because she has so successfully used it. She tempts me with books about apple pies, coats for little children, animals named Ping.

So I'm venturing purposefully into FIAR (Five in A Row).

I have reserved The Rag Coat by Lauren Mills at the library & will stop to pick up today!

The book talks about a little girl who has no coat and her mother makes her one out of the quilt remnants she has. Based on more in the story, it seems like a good book to promote a child's community & roots, as well as empathy for others.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I always wanted to do this curriculum with my girls, but for various reasons it never happened. How exciting that you are getting to go through this! Tell me what you think about it.

And WOW! Thanks for such a great spot on your blog today! I appreciate you adding my button and your kind words of encouragement. I always look forward to hearing from you because you are so supportive!

Blessings to you and yours!

Mrs. Edwards said...

Do you already know about this website?
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/five_in_a_row_resources.php

You can find all sorts of free resources to go with FIAR books, as well as other children's picture books. There are links to some for-sale resources as well, such as lapbooking kits. Lapbooking FIAR books is so much fun!

I'm cleaning out my school closet this week and realizing that I did a lot of fun projects with my older kids as preschoolers that I haven't done with my youngest! I'm itching to plan some projects for Toby to work on now that he is four!

Let us know how it goes!

You Can Call Me Jane said...

I've heard good things about Five in a Row, but have never read/tried any of their curriculum/books. Let us know how it goes!

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Picked up books tonight after Bible class, that I had put on hold, on-line (my new favorite convenience thing) and then followed the link above provided by Mrs. Edwards, and will be looking into coal & fossil fuel discusion for science related to Rag Coat! Thanks Mrs. E. there are so many interesting free links for FIAR books there!

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Picked up books tonight after Bible class, that I had put on hold, on-line (my new favorite convenience thing) and then followed the link above provided by Mrs. Edwards, and will be looking into coal & fossil fuel discusion for science related to Rag Coat! Thanks Mrs. E. there are so many interesting free links for FIAR books there!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...