Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Catching up on Life - Cooking & Schooling

We finally got around to finishing the Jesse Tree Ornaments from Ann Voskamp's Book 'The Glorious Coming'
and enjoyed Cranberry Bread that I meant to make before Christmas,


Made French Onion Soup, for dinner last night,


These are some of of the fruits of our homework, but our January has been busy!

We toured the Oakley House, where John James Audubon tutored a student & lived for a summer with Jack's Art Class (aren't the girls the sweetest!) He completed 32 of his drawings in his famous book 'Birds of America'. They also have numerous animals that are just fun(remember the turkey, he along with the chickens we saw as babies in the coup were out and about.)



We enjoyed the Audubon Zoo (New Orleans, on MLK Monday) same day we saw Drake,




Whew.. these are just a few of the things, visits, activities we started & are enjoying but sometimes it seems like its time to clean out the cupboards, organize and start to baking!





I mean, Charlotte Mason would roll over in her grave if I said I followed her ideas....











I realized I just don't stay at home like I used to. We've had a trip to go somewhere since we returned from our trip at Christmas. And even then, before Christmas we missed out on some good things with just being busy.

When this is how you roll, life needs to slow down.....

So after our visit to John James Audubon's 'house' & zoo & had a surprise visit with my brother in New Orleans, on our way to the Audubon Zoo, we just needed to settle down.

I need to plan some menus, buy the groceries & feed the tribe.
and iron shirts- (really...)

So today we read our Bible story, ate our cereal, did our chores, practice writing, counted by 5's, and enjoyed more of the 'Flying Creatures', as well as all of the other fun aspects of schooling at home. It's been a good day.



7 comments:

Unknown said...

That field trip sounds glorious! I would love to see that place! It's fun to "have fun" but routine is always a welcome relief! Hope you get to enjoy some "plain o'l days' in the next couple of weeks.

Anita said...

It's so easy to get busy and miss out on what happens under your own roof, isn't it? So many of the things that keep us busy and away from home are "good" things, but I relish the days at home...with no commitments where we can sit and read together, play games or just "be".

I never got the cranberry bread made, either. I think tonight we'll have an apple cranberry crisp for dessert. We have made French onion soup recently and it was delicious....and so easy to make!

Have a glorious day!!

argsmommy said...

Oh, too funny! I love the last picture. I know just what you mean. We're going through the 50 states and were supposed to make peach cobbler for Georgia 2 weeks ago. Maybe today...

Mrs. Edwards said...

Cool.

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

Oh I totally understand!! I love though how you actually played catch up and did some of things you had meant to!! That's awesome!! But oh that picture of Henry......
LOVE it!!

Jane D. said...

Hi Laura, thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog yesterday. I have really enjoyed looking at your blog this morning and very much appreciate your thoughts about slowing down (and baking), you could be talking about me!

Mrs. Edwards said...

Laura,
I just read this article ("Audubon, Haiti and Cruel Fate") in the WSJ, remembered your post, and wanted to give you the link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704509704575019790632407252.html

It just has some interesting info about John James Audubon's origins in Haiti and the way that living in a hard world where many people died young impacted his bird art. Enjoy.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...