Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Civility Project: George Washington Meets the 21st Century


Reading the book Character Matters has precipitated quite alot of thought devoted to manners & civility. The book is excellent in it's discussion of the need for civility, but doesn't stop there. There are numerous suggestions for both home & school for developing character & manners in children for a better home, classroom & community.
One primary source it recommended for reference was the list that George Washington wrote for himself at the age of 16 regarding manners and civility. I have combined it (modified to make sense to a child) with the ABC's of manners listed in Character Matters to create a book of our own in a super duper black composition notebook.

Linked to the text from George Washington is a very interesting Civility Project at the University of Virginia to see what contributions could be made for suggested modern day rules of civility & manners. My favorite was to pass carefully and quickly past an automobile accident so as not to cause further danger or gawk at another's misfortune. I think I would add to be sure you vehicle is located between the lines in a parking space, or the old faithful, don't litter. What would be yours?

5 comments:

Anita said...

We have used George Washington's Rules of Civility many times at our house for copy work. We'll probably bring it out again next semester when we study the revolutionary war. Lots of good tidbits there.

You Can Call Me Jane said...

Interesting! I hadn't read these before and perfect timing, thanks!

Kate H. said...

After spending the day at the zoo, I would add the importance of always letting others go first. Today I observed many parents push and shove their way to the front to get their kids the "best" view. While we are all the most effective teachers to our children through our own actions, I wonder how much better the next generation would be if they observed adults showing courtesy to one another as the rule instead of the exception.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

ooh yes, Kate- that's exactly right, they are watching.

Andrea said...

How about a section on cell phone etiquette or even phone etiquette in general. We had a neighbor girl who would call to speak to my daughter. I would say hello and she would say, "....hi...". She would never say her name or who she wanted to speak to. So finally I told her one time, when you call here and you want to speak to my daughter after I say hello you should say, "Hello, this is T. May I speak to D please?" Finally, she actually started doing this. I think no one ever bothered to teach her this. Sad.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...