Saturday, October 10, 2009

Simple Prosperity - Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle: Part 1 'To Wii or Not to Wii'


Ironically, I found this book at the thrift store, while looking for some 'new' jeans for the boys. BTW, there are no boy's jeans in the book aisle, but really, who can resist cheap books?

I made a connection of consequence after reading Anita's discussion over at Busy Hands about the Wii Game. (Anita I stole a portion of your title..somehow I don't think you'll mind.)

I have talked about the concerns that are real regarding video games, especially for boys, but Wii brings up new discussion. What if it does really promote a group activity & it's physical? What can be wrong with that?
Let me first say, I've played Wii once & enjoyed it. I watched grown men sweat while 'boxing', & realized that none of these men would probably otherwise have the opportunity to participate in a real opportunity to box. The group was extremely entertained & had an occasion to cheer others on in a sporting occasion where we did more than sit on a sofa & discuss the last movie we rented at the 'Redbox'.
There was personal affirmation for each person involved, we're talking grown adults that receive few kudo's from their kids during a regular day, but for a while each of us felt like a 'Pro', in the spotlight, with skills.
Those who had skill in a certain sport had a chance to do it, when we might normally not. I for one, loved the tennis. I don't do tennis right now, it's just not convenient or within the daily plan of my life right now.
So do I see a downside? Well, even with all those things, I still believe that writers like David Wann, the co-author of Affluenza, have a point. His most recent book (2007) Simple Prosperity - Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle is an interesting read. It has the usual 'green' ideas but with logic & suggestions. I do not agree with some particular ideas, however have been motivated & challenged in many areas, I believe, for the better. For instance, in a chapter titled 'Precious Work & Play', he describes exquisitely the shortcomings of watching & not participating. I do not think Wii falls always into this category, but it promoted thought to think more concertedly about being 'involved' as opposed to a mere watcher.
'Psychologists tell us it comes down to involvement....the more expensive and energy consuming our leisure time euqipment, the more detached we are from the activity itself. Despite the technology of tv, it doesn't take any closer to reality. In fact, many times, we are only half-present as we watch, suspended in an ether of virtual reality, with distant voices calling us back to reality-- where we could be feeling alive. Hobbies like playing music with friends; playing amateur sports such as softball, bowling, and skill -intensive fly-fishing; reading a great book; or conversing at a dinner table make us happier, becuase we participate in them. ( The root meaning of the word "amateur" is "I love," not "I'm not very good".) These activities require less expensive euipment and consume less energy, but demand a lot of psychic energy and focus.' (the preceding was an exerpt from the afore mentioned book).

So no matter how good the virtual game is, unless it is with a group of persons, or it is simply impossible to participate in any other 'actual'/'real' activity, virtual will always fall short. It won't bring us to the peak, it won't challenge us to the max, creating the best in us.
Really, what do you think- ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this blog and smiled because I believe it was at my home you first played the wii. I will say that personally I believe it's about balance. My husband enjoyed providing that form of entertainment for our family since it is something we could all do together at times where we just simply can't be outside or do the "real" sports. Truthfully, though, we also cherish every available weekend when we go to the hunting camp where there is NO electronic devices or television. The kids thrive fishing with their dad, shooting targets with beebee guns, frolicking in the mud, and examining rocks. In my current job where I work with angry and neglected children,I firmly believe the time we spend with our children, regardless of what it is we do, is what really counts. The girls never play the wii without us. They don't really find it entertaining when we aren't playing it together. Instead, they ride their bikes and congregate with the host of kids on the street. After daily homework and weather permitting, I subscribe to my lovely mother's old rule of "ye must play outside and create things to do until dinner is ready." I observe some awesome and imaginative games they create here in our yard with the neighborhood kids. I guess, in my opinion, it all falls into the arena of balance. I do commend you, though, for examining these things and looking for the best possible life for your family. We should all question and examine everything for its fruitfulness in our lives.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

You are exactly right, precious anonymous friend. Do you remember how the guys boxed like it was for their life? ! I so appreciate your perspective, especially someone who actually has a Wii, and is a 'thinker'. It has recently crossed my radar of potential purchases, before Eric's even, which is a total surprise. I do see the merits of it, especially with the weather that we're in right now. Seriously, Jack doesn't want to join soccer because of the weather. I'm so grateful for a nearby gym for gymnastics, because I don't think we'd be participating in any organized sports, which is not optional for Eric. Area of compromise for another post... lol- Thanks for stopping by- always interested in your thoughts- lk

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...