Friday, October 30, 2009

Fear - Not


With Halloween everywhere, it has been necessary to address, GHOSTS.
(See Suzzanne @ Blessed Among Men on a for a link to a healthy commentary on Halloween) On a regular basis, I shoo ghosts from the upstairs, and stomp to clear the room. I do not perpetuate this nonsense, or at least I don't start it, but it's a part of our world. But last week I put an end to it, at least took it head on. There are so many fun frivolous things in our world that sometimes I feel I'm the grinch of all socially acceptable imaginary things. But I have a very literal child. (He's raised by geriatrics, what can I say?) But he has addressed many topics that I thought would come much later, but there they are. Well, he doesn't do 'scary' ... at all. And the other night, he asked if I was afraid of ghosts and did I really believe in them. And this was my answer:

'I have never been afraid of ghosts. I think if a ghost is present, he is like all other spirits in this world, [subject] to God. God is in control of all things, and if God will allow anything unseen to be here, it will be something good. God loves you and me, and we serve Him. We love Him, and He loves us. He will protect us if in fact there are any spirits present. " I think I pretty much sealed the deal with the first line. But that's the facts. I'm afraid of crazy people, folks that seem threatening when I'm unprepared or dealing with 2 small children & have my hands full in the parking lot. I'm afraid when my husband runs late. But I figure if there are any spirits hanging about, God is in control of the situation. My faith is in Him. He won that Victory a long time ago, when Christ conquered death & took His rightful place in the heavenly realms.

A short time back we visited a fort at Ship Island in Biloxi, MS. This is a huge fort, but is no longer in use. We climbed & hiked all over it. At one point we came to a door that seemed to be a dungeon like enclosure. I told Jack to go in, be brave. But I didn't want to go in either. I went, & after my eyes adjusted we realized it was an amunitions hold. And was no bigger than the doorway. There was nothing to be afraid of but the unknown. This event in our lives came to mind when I visited Holy Experience~Never Fear Shadows. This post is beautiful, as are so many of her other thoughts & photos. She also hosts a beautiful challenge to consider the blessings of our lives. It is called a Gratitude Community and is hosted on Multitude Monday. I think I'm going to try it. I need to keep counting my blessings to maintain the confidence that I have in this God who will protect me and my family, when I'm concerned over shadows, darkness or unwelcome spirits.

No comments:

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...