Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ancient History Reading for Kids & Monkey Bread

After the big change from home education to public, our reading material hasn't changed. We still have the same reading lists to accomplish, whether during the academic school year or throughout the summer.
At the top of our list are books like The Golden Fleece: and the Heroes Who Lived Before Achilles, by Padraic Colum.






For sometime we have also had and read Colum's, The Children's Homer: The adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy. Both of these volumes are illustrated by Willy Pogany and have proven their award winning qualities to our household listening audience. The stories are simple in their wording, but capture the essence and the feel of Homer, poetic and fresh in feel. We must chart the path of all the characters using a  map/banner from National Geographic that includes both Greek and Roman characters, and illustrates the families of the ancient legends of mythology. (Coincidentally, Beautiful Feet Books has a great post about introducing Ancient literature to kids *here*. They mention these among other books that are favorites of ours.) I must admit. Ancient is my favorite.

It's Birthday Month around here. Jack turns 9, and Henry turns 6. Somehow 1 day events turn into month-long events, but I'm trying to use all my newly delegated energy into joyful celebration opportunities. So today I'm making monkeybread & giving Jack (birthday # 1) a Greek god tatoo book, and a Greek & Roman coloring book. We've already done rock crystals this week, and colored side-walk chalk. And I think there has been a little bionical action figure accumulation going on. But I think the monkey bread is going to be the winner. BTW, I did not follow the recipe here, but I was inspired by the link above to make it... and yes it was from Pinterest. (smile)





No comments:

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...