Sunday, December 19, 2010

Book List 2010 in Review


So I posted a hefty list last January, of hopeful reads. I did read but only 3 books on my list.
Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis made the list. (personal read)

7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Steven Covey (book club read)
Diligently Seeking God by Gary Henry (daily devotional)
Those were the only 3 on the list I can honestly say, I really read.


I tried to read Giliead... Angle of Repose. But ~ did. not. happen.
I did however, re-read & add other books of course.


The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. 1996

edited by Douglas Wilson. 1996

Flight from the City by Ralph Borsodi. 1933


Flight from City, was a really, really interesting read. It is a homesteading book, which came on the heels of the crash in 1929, and referenced earlier, but similar economic crashes in our country. What you will find interesting is the similarities in the thinking of people from then & today.
I found Bennett's book an interesting discussion of his time in offices he held during Reagan's administration. I didn't realize he was a Democrat when he came to office. He however was truly one of the most conservative appointees during that administration. He mentions his 'controversial' history, but makes no bones about his dedication to morality & virtue. It is an excellent read for provoking thought in my own noble intentioned but tired mind. It is convicting in ways you wouldn't think. I highly recommend it.

Omnivore's Dillemma ~ page 486. Read.

Ruin's ~ excellent read for a parent who is baffled by the choices of homeschooling & a christian education. Numerous topics discussed, including but not limited to: 'why rhetoric, literature & apologetics' and 'why Latin'., to 'egalitarianism' & 'the Trivium applied'.
It made me think.


That's all the read's I can remember off the top of my head. This was not the year for reading fun stuff, I tried, I really gave it my best shot, but my heart was absorbed in the move, in reflective thought, the how-to's & the task at hand.

Perhaps I'll not be quite so ambitious this year, but I'm sure there will be an excellent read again. I know it's just around the corner....


No comments:

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...