Sunday, February 14, 2010

Food Inc.


Well, I've watched it, and now I'm processing, what to do next.

I'm tapped into Homestead Revival's posts, and learning alot. Even tho I know alot about the problems with our food system as we know it, I am like most American's who really don't want to know, because we don't want to go to the trouble. But I'm going to. Go to the trouble that is.

It's just a matter of planning. And that's what I seem to be doing this winter.

If you haven't seen it, it can be found at netflix.

hmmm. so much to think about. I'm really debating right now, with provocation by Amy @ Homestead, which to do first, work on produce buying or try to tackle the whole grains.

A few of my take-away's from the movie, without going into the painful details...


  • I found it interesting that Kelloggs owns Kashi, H's favorite cereal.

  • I was impressed by Stonyfield's owner, who now sells to Wal-mart. (not because he sells to Walmart)

  • I thought Joel the chicken farmer was the bomb.

  • My heart broke when Kevin's mother shared her story.

  • GMO seeds can't be contained- and eventually even seed-saver's on a small scale will be illegal, if individuals don't begin to ask is the 'how do we do it' more important than the implications of the method.

  • The above applies to all of the areas, I thought, in the movie.

Go to Homestead Revival (see the button in my side-bar) for really practical ways to step up to the plate when it comes to making your voice heard by what you purchase. I also suggest my friend at Thy Hand Hath Provided (one of my favorite blogs in the side bar). THHP has been practicing with her family simple ways, to feed their family, in a beautiful wholesome way. She's not advertising, just living & sharing. One reason I love the internet & blogland.

5 comments:

Annesta said...

I just recently watch the movie. I appreciate your comments.
We are beginning to buy our meat and dairy products from a local farmer who farms ethically and naturally.
I want to learn more and am enjoying reading Amy's blog.

Unknown said...

Laura, Thanks for the mention in your post! Always grateful...

I think everyone should watch this movie once a year, just to remind them why they are doing what they are doing. It isn't easy making these changes, but so worth it long term. For ourselves and our children. I hate to think what things will be like down the road if a grass roots movement to "vote out" this kind of food with our grocery dollars.

Anita said...

I have seen parts of Food, INC and will put it on my Netflx queue today. My whole family needs to see it. Joel Salatin, the chicken man, has a whole cd in the entrepreneur set from Vision Forum. He is a hoot!

Anita said...

I have seen parts of Food, INC and will put it on my Netflx queue today. My whole family needs to see it. Joel Salatin, the chicken man, has a whole cd in the entrepreneur set from Vision Forum. He is a hoot!

The Unlikely Homeschooler said...

We watched it recently too (I'm no longer surprised so much at our parallel lives...ha ha). To Anita...it's an instant watch on netflix if you don't want to load it to your queue. Just FYI...that's how I watched it.

Sadly a lot of it didn't shock me. The Monsanto thing gets me more upset than anything else...that was mentioned a bit in Animal Vegetable Miracle too, but seeing it and hearing the details from the farmers. Oh it just infuriates me! NOT that the other stuff wasn't disturbing or frustrating. But that we can legally treat farmers that way....and get away with it, etc....ARRGGHHH!! and seeing all the Washington connections.....again...arrgghhh!
Anyway...it's a good movie to watch. As you know I'm taking my baby steps as well. We're working on going to all grass fed free range beef now. I want my 'vote' at the check out heard!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...