Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Waiting for paint to dry... literally


We are painting a desk project for Jack, & I'm painting a plaque for a verse. So now we're waiting on the paint to dry. I've been a busy beaver this morning preparing 3x5 cards for various subjects and memorization. I had to look up the 4 major time periods of history found in the Well-Trained Mind material. While I was there, I stumbled upon Jessie Wise Bauer's 52 books in 52 weeks challenge update. Deep, exausting sigh. I have finished about 3 books this summer. All not nearly as deep or intellectual as what is on her reading list. But to keep the noggin sharp enough to speak in complete sentences, I try to read. It also keeps me sane, literally, to read lightweight books. I don't recommend everything I read. Everyone has their thresholds of what they deem appropriate. I did receive a stack of Mary Higgins Clark books to borrow from a friend last week, and can't wait to jump into a mystery novel that doesn't assault you with unecessary inappropriate material. Everyone is always rich, and someone who deserves it, 'get's it'. How shallow. I did read another thinker book recently, by Barbara Kingsolver. Her stuff, not so lighweight. But very entertaining. Actually entertaining is a sad description for something so well-written, so absorbing. I read Prodigal Summer, enjoying the numerous references to Kentucky and the people who are smart enough to live there. Her experience is well brought out in references to farming, and making your way in an established farming community. Being a Greenhorn. Her descriptions of accents and local vernacular, person's ways of relating to family and locals are sincerely respectful and I believe, accurate. I really loved Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by the same Kingsolver. Not a novel but a descriptive book about their family's personal experience eating locally for 1 year. An experiment I'd snap to on a paid reality show, any day.. lol... (remember Leslie, when you told me 'you'd be great on that show 'Frontier House'?)
And this book, Prodigal Summer, is sensual in it's nature, more than AVM, by far. Sensual including all senses & cycles of life. There's my disclaimer.... for those who may purchase and then regret, due to a little more than you may have anticipated with my recommendation. Definitely R rated in parts. But worth the read, if alone to enjoy the elderly characters life exchanges. Truly precious. I wish I knew all the characters in this book. I think I do know some of them. It's a beautiful lyrical read, one which can be, I'm sure most enjoyed, as the end of the summer season approaches.
One more note about Prodigal Summer... Kingsolver is very in-tune with nature. I am one of those folks who in the past may talk a big talk about 'nature-lover's' and 'tree-huggers' in a less than complimentary way. I am no longer, and haven't been for sometime. I think there is a seriously important wealth of information that people in general could learn about themselves and their place in the world if they/ME could step back and learn about something that we/I am completely unfamiliar with. Her references to the food chain and balance of nature are not flippant thoughts. She's a studied author with research to back up her material, whether in novel or essay. (but isn't that the point of reading outside our comfort realm? to grow our brains and our attitudes?... thank-you Mrs. Hepler for teaching me to read in the first grade...)
Can't seem to find the book titles of those I'm next interested in reading next other than the MHC books. There was something about Solitude and 100 days... I'll find it ... somewhere in my brain. As well, I'm pressing on to retrieve a copy of The Bean Wars, by Kingsolver as well.

No comments:

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...