Friday, June 5, 2009

Making a Candle- Summer & School




I have to say, I was a little intimidated when I was supposed to melt wax or crayons to make a candle for our first activity in the new Konos curriculum. But this tutorial is extremely fun. I don't know if the candles will burn except for the actual b'day candle in the top, but I just wasn't ready for the whole melt the wax in the can routine. (Our family has experience with parafin disaster.) But the candle is the fun part of the lesson that deals with God's Word and it's light for our path. Tonight we get to test it out, after dark. Since it's summer, we might be up till midnight.



It's summer & we're enjoying the normal summer time activities, but I couldn't help get into the lessons on obedience in our new curriculum. Jack just wouldn't let me put the stuff in the closet.



So far we've made a crown for marking memory work, which gets a jewel with each new memory verse.



This verse came to mind --



"Hear my son, your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching; they are a graceful wreath to your head and ornaments about your neck." Proverbs 1:8-9



That wasn't his memory verse, but it is a good one... his first in the curriculum was Ephesians 6:1. The lesson establishes God's authority over all mankind and our need to obey Him, as well as the importance of children obeying their parents and the authority God has given to us.



We'll see how the candles turn out-

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I was thrilled to win, that never happens to me! I love your background--the whole blog is so pretty! Will keep checking in...

Anita said...

So glad you are enjoying your KONOS Obedience unit. It's a great one!! You can take Jack to "visit" the KONOS queen and her men-folk at her Caring Bridge website. She improving daily, but still has far too go.

If you chose to do the Attentiveness-in-a-Box unit next, you will see my pic and quote in there somewhere!! LOL! I am working on lesson plans now for the explorers unit from vol. 2 inquisitiveness. For the third time, I think!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...