Saturday, February 14, 2009

Resale of children's clothes and toys prohibited? Really?





I have finally done a little homework concerning this recently rumored legislation, and find myself a little stunned. My children would be wandering around in paper bags, if this were to take effect. Sure, we splurge on nice stuff here and there, and we have wonderful family who send an occasional gift of clothing. But mainstream, go out and play in the dirt-pile clothes are straight from the thrift store or a hand-me-down. Why would I put a child outside in clothes that cost $25 per item to promptly ruin, when they could do the same damage wearing slightly worn said item, I purchased from a thrift store, consignment store, yard sale, or e-bay? I have purchased, as I'm sure many of those who will read this, Gap jeans for $1.98 at America's Thrift Store, as well as Levi's, Wrangler, Polo, etc... It astounds me that legislation like this is even out there? Perhaps I get a little steamed about this because it is such an obvious place to save money, in times that are only soon to become more increasingly financially difficult for families.



As many noticed around Christmas, the high end retail stores were 'giving it away.' And perhaps in the changing economy this trend will continue. But I'm flabbergasted. Really.



I know there are bigger issues, like numbers in our 'Changed' economy, but this really hit home with me. What about you?



Check it out at the snope's link here or above.



I would note that I do believe there are some side effects from Pthalates mentioned in the article at snopes. Dr. Leonard Sax talks about these in his book, Boy's Adrift. I believe this. Whether I can remove all the plastic we use, or consistently stop cooking without plastic...that's another matter, but it's genuinely worth a read.



I just don't think a pair of 100% cotton, 2nd hand jeans are going to contain levels of lead or plastic that will render either of my children infertile. Nor will a used copy of Brown Bear render my family in need of dialysis.



I think, really, the most serious treatment necessary when shopping a thrift store would be a good hot load of laundry.



2 comments:

Roan said...

Hey Laura, I read the link on Boys Adrift...very interesting. Have you read this book?

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Hi Roan,
I have read the book, from 'kiver to kiver'. I thought it was fascinating. I can't say the jury is in on the plastics & all the side-effects, however, the arguments make sense. He also discusses serious behaviors in boys that most average parents deal with. The apathy & despondency that many of our generation are living out.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...