Thursday, May 5, 2011

With What Am I Familiar




While reading a post at Simply Charlotte Mason, I began to get excited about what I can put on the walls at my new house. What I can do with the big blank canvas, that will be our home. Excitement is an understatement. I couldn't be more excited than if it was my wedding day. And for that I was pretty excited. Everything for us has been 'hurry up, and wait'. But that's life. For everyone. We haven't cornered that market.


But this post really struck a cord. I looked back at some younger photos of our kids and longed for some of those simple moments back. When watching 'Busy Town' was enough. When reading 'The Napping House' was really, really fun. We've really been filled with business and blank walls this year. Renting for 5 years now, I've been telling the kids, 'don't bang into that wall! Mr xxxx won't like that.' 'Don't dig that hole, Jack! Mrs.xxxx wont' be happy.' Mind you we've been blessed by a hurricane, or 2 that provided a playground of mulched fallen trees in the front yard, but the toll was taken, the telling them (not to be kids, in their own house). This last month seems to be the most painful. We know where the (unoccupied) house is. We know the neighbors, for whom I'm thankful each day. (they're take on raising kids is much like mine, benign negligence tempered with faithful family training.) But the waiting... We close after we move out of this house, so there will be a short period of homelessness.(we've got this figured out) But that's just, well, what it is. We've navigated crazier waters. White water's in fact. And we're still married, love our kids, and actually still have friends that speak to us.


So why the chickens-- now. I wanted the kids to be able to have them, pick them up, and not have someone tell them to stop. I love petting zoos, but those aren't mine. Sure I still want the boys to be careful. But they go sit in the garden and just play with them. It's precious. And for no matter how long it last, I'm happy I did this untimely chaotic thing.

We may or may not be able to keep them, some covenants are stronger than others. My neighbor is fine with it, we're not in city limits, but covenants are covenants, and I'm a rule keeper. But I'm not throwing in the towel yet. I'm going to have faith. And just not worry. We've been peddling too hard too fast, and we're going to enjoy the blessings of a home in less than perfect shape for what it is. A blank canvas, where we can put our stamp.

An opportunity to guide as I want to present that with which I want the kids to be familiar.

Nature, friends, maybe chickens, art, play, kindness, cooking, bicycles. Homesteading really isn't just about gathering animals. Homesteading is putting down rails, to steal Charlotte's term.

Although, and Eric knows this, I really, really wanted sheep and a big field for cotton, I know we, and I do mean we, know that a home is what is most important, right now. So from a homesteading point of view, I don't see this as failure. I see it as a challenge. A challenge to see what we can do, what changes we can make that will shape our family for the better.


I love shaping a home, and the blessing is mine for the taking.


Thankful am I.

1 comment:

Polly said...

So nice to meet you fellow farmin' mama. One of my husbands' patients just gave us 20 something chicks that lay blue eggs, want some :)

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...