Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Praising Boys Well


I purchased a book the other day that even my husband raised an eyebrow to. 'Praising Boys Well'. I seldom give a second glance to books that mention 'self-esteem' as necessary. But this book was trying to bring the tide back to what a healthy & humble self perception would look like. And I needed this. See I can pick out a flaw in the system or an error in the effort, style or method, but sometimes I lack the match for the 'flame' that must glow in my kid's hearts. I can hold the line of discipline like a bull dog, but sometimes being a little more approachable is what's needed. I need this. And this unsuspecting book really struck a chord. So I bought it, thinking it might be a real catalyst for change in my approach to the years ahead in schooling boys.

A few thoughts from and about this book, that I think are golden:


'Self-esteem and strong self-belief are, indeed, valuable attributes, but their value is undermined if they come at the expense of sound self-knowledge(because he's told he's wonderful at everything), sound friendships (because friends are put off by his resulting bossiness and arrogance), and determination and perseverance ( because he has never had to face and overcome setbacks).' For the soul who can't let go of the term 'self-esteem' these are the exact thing that self-esteem does. But I think the author realizes this even if he doesn't see the flaw in the term. Reverse the words – esteem self. Do you see the dilemma with this virtue? It's not really a virtue from a Biblical perspective.



But that being said, the author shares terms and suggestions for ways to praise well. The first terms to consider & focus on to more clearly and effectively communicate with our children our desires for their hearts and actions. Terms for focusing 'on the varied, deeper purposes of praise beyond the obvious ones: affirm, appreciate, approve, admire, attend, anticipate, achieve, acknowledge, be aware and alert, and aspiration.' That's the first 10. These terms are meant to describe ways to effectively think and refine our praise to speak to a boys hearing. An example that sets this book apart in my mind is the definition & explanation he shares of admiration. His clear differentiation of hollow pedestal placing void praise versus Godly type care & admiration. Admiration because he is mine, my child. Love because he is my child, not earning my affection & admiration because he did something well. This may seem obvious, but to a parent who is trying to teach a child in this world's moral climate, one may fall into bad habits of withholding loving, admiration & affection. It can seem so important to share that which will mold their minds, it can become overwhelming to a mom with rambunctious boys. Do they still not need admiration? I think so. Every person does. Not excessive adoration, but appropriate admiration.


While discussing the purpose of praise the writer also shares a wonderful suggestion of keeping these areas of communication in 'terms of time zones.'


'It is useful to consider praise in terms of time zones. Although each encounter and incident is in the present, a key purpose of praise- and of support and encouragement—is to help our boys feel optimistic about their future, comfortable with the route they have traveled from the past, and content with the present. When we encourage them, our focus is on the future: We try to convince any boy in our care he will overcome any current difficulty to be successful herafter. We therefore generate faith, hope, and confidence and give him heart. When we clearly enjoy his company and his achievements, we indicate our happiness and pleasure with who he is, in the present moment.'

I carefully consider post-modern psychology, and seldom throw out a book, or person to consider, but I've had to do some home-work in an area of my personal weakness. While reading 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families, I've had to answer questions about the strengths of each family member, and ways to help them feel appreciated and loved. This book I believe, Praising Boys Well, will help me become better at appreciating & and affirming my love & confidence in them, as they choose , not perfectly but in this youthful season of learning & growing, to choose to follow godly principles & virtues.

Keeping a balance, a Godly approach to parenting, can be found in both determining what we don't want and being very specific about what we do want. Sometimes looking for ways to effectively communicate that which we have in our hearts can be the missing tool.

'A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.'

9 comments:

Jane D. said...

Laura this post has really struck a chord with me - it's just where I am at the moment, and I totally agree with you about the self esteem thing! Thank you x.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Jane, I find that I know in my head what I want to happen, but I'm not communicating it in love, or even what it is I want to happen at all... well.
I don't think this book is the end all, but even looking at those 10 terms more carefully, and defining them for ourselves, and then communicating clearly, briefly, succinctly, what we really want our children to 'take away', I think light years of progress can be made. So glad this might help someone else- you :) I don't want to be the griper, but I have gone so full tilt the other direction that I've missed out on some really precious opportunities to praise my kids(to them, not to others).

Unknown said...

Good thoughts, Laura. I like to use the term "self-worth" instead of self-esteem because how we view our worth should be grounded in our relationship with Christ. You touched on that in an earthly relationship
"because he is ...my child". Loved unconditionally.

I could work on this myself!

Mrs. Edwards said...

Thank you for this book review, Laura. It is a great reminder to be purposeful in praise, especially when sometimes we seem to sink into a cycle of dealing with besetting sins that need so much attention that the negativity is overwhelming! :)

Annesta said...

I enjoy the way you review books. You pull out the most important concepts and then analyze them for your reader.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Well said, Mrs. Edwards. I am so consumed and dare I say, fearful, of the future, for my boys, for myself, of the traps & snares of sin, that I 'fall into the cycle' of only picking out the negative & only offering correction.
The book isn't perfect, but there is true substance, and I really needed it.
Thanks everyone, for your comments. I really enjoy communicating with you all- your feedback and comments helps me so much.
God is in control, His love is sufficient, His power complete.
Be blessed in Him- Laura

...You May Say I'm A Dreamer said...

I don't know where I found your blog, but the important thing is that I did find it! I am the mother of a 24 year old heroin addict. He is currently clean and has been for almost a year (on Apr 21st). This is a good boy who was raised with good values in a church-going, loving home.

You are absolutely headed down the right path with your boys! If you can help them build their self-esteem by looking to God and NOT by getting it through athletes, TV stars etc., then you will be WAY ahead! Thank you for your review of this book. Both of my daughters have sons and even though they are very young, it's never too early to teach them this most important value of a healthy self-esteem! I look forward to getting to know you better. God bless you in all of your efforts:)

~Mary

Roan said...

Thanks for the book review. I am going to read it....I, too, am pretty good at barking commands, training my children, and running a pretty tight ship....what I feel like I am always lacking is praise and admiration...you know, communicating my unconditional love to my precious children. Boys are different than girls, and I look forward to gleaning from this book. I know how much I like to feel appreciated, and genuine praise sure does my heart good!
Thanks!

Roan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...