Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gratitude, the Anecdote, the Antitoxin...


"Gratitude is the vaccine, the antitoxin, the anecdote."

I'm finding this is the answer to allowing God to have and change my heart.

The theme selected for our church as a whole for the year is "God is in Control", and the text referenced is Hebrews 11:6. What jumped out at me is the phrase 'diligently seek Him'.
I have been reading/using a daily devotion book by Gary Henry titled Diligently Seeking God - Daily Devotion to Take God More Seriously, and have already found it profoundly insightful. I began it beginning in December & the end is just as good as the beginning.


I highly recommend this book for a healthy daily measure to look at God more closely, less on that which distracts us away from what will really fill our souls, and makes us what God would have us to be.


I am thankful today for books(17), reading & language (18), my Bible (19). I am more than excited looking forward to the new year to jump start our schooling and to also challenge my self with some reading, fun & for study.

I haven't selected officially my books for my list of reading, but I have selected a handful of books for Jack for reading aloud. All follow a theme of Discovery & Adventure. We are going to begin the year with Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift & see how it goes. Dr. Doolittle's adventures were a HUGE success. So many lessons (for me as well) involved in that precious book. But I'm a little hesitant on Gulliver's Travels. But the only way to find out is to crack the book & read!

We have listened to 'Undaunted Courage' by Stephen Ambrose several times, which is an amazing book, even in the abbreviated recording we've listened to. The theme I am beginning to create for Jack is that wise men journal. They record what happens & what they've seen. It helps to empty the mind for space for more learning, but also helps to see what has happened & learn from that. Over the holiday's we read the book Snowflake Bentley, who documented his findings about snowflakes with photography in mid 1800's. Our break in the theme was a Christmas classic, A Christmas Carol, which created a super family time reading opportunity.
We have also recently read The Boy Who Drew Birds about John James Audubon. (some boys journal with pictures of what they've discovered)We will soon be taking a field trip with the 2 other students in his independent art class to the site in Louisiana where Audubon drew much of his work, and where he stayed while in Louisiana. I also see a trip on the horizon to the Audubon Zoo in New Orleans to see the bird sanctuary. So much to see!

Thankful am I, ... a little overwhelmed with exhaustion from travel, an active demanding 3 year old, & in need of a shower,... but what mom of little folks isn't?
Haven't started counting your blessing's yet? January is a great time to start.
Join the Gratitude Community at A Holy Experience, officially or on your own.
You won't be disappointed. I'm shooting for the quarter year mark(April 1) to make my official count. Again, I'll reassess as needed. Just making some goals to keep sight of my objectives. Don't I sound organized? (don't laugh too hard...)


7 comments:

Jenny said...

We loved Snowflake Bentley! Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

I love the book "The Boy Who Drew Birds". We used it in our homeschool as well! Very Charlotte Mason.

Can't wait to see your reading list. I need to come up with my own! I've really slacked off on reading due to the holidays and I need to finish Last Child in the Woods (yes, I'm a SLOW reader!)

Anita said...

Jeff has begun a daily journal and is encouraging (requiring) the children to do so as well. He is meeting so many Godly dads in his work with The Homeschool Channel and is getting a little more insight in what it means to lead our family. Not that he has been a back seat dad, but he is learning that especially with boys (and we do have four) that HE must be the primary enforcer/backer of their education and upbringing.

One book you might add to your list is Education of a Wandering Man by Louis L'Amour. He had a very different but vast education that met HIS specific bent. Have you discovered Lamplighter books? We have really been enjoying them the last few years. Lots to ponder in each book, no matter what the reading level.

I think our Jack's would have a grand time together! Maybe one day we can meet up!!

Hodgepodgemom said...

Laura I love your quote, ""Gratitude is the vaccine, the antitoxin, the anecdote." What a lovely blog you have. I'll look forward to stopping by again.

Thanks so much for honoring us by listing Habits for a Happy Home in the blogs you thoroughly enjoy! ~ Tricia

Annesta said...

Laura,
Thank you so much for stopping by my blog this morning.
I too want to always remain thirsty for Him as I KNOW what it is to by dry and never want to be there again!
grace and peace to you
Annesta

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Must give credit where credit is due. quote about gratitude came from my sister-in-law's facebook page. can't remember the author, but will look up again & credit.
I love ann's Monday & Wednesday thoughts, as well as every other day of the week. ... enjoying the 'walk' with everyone else.

Laura at By the Bushel said...

Must give credit where credit is due. quote about gratitude came from my sister-in-law's facebook page. can't remember the author, but will look up again & credit.
I love ann's Monday & Wednesday thoughts, as well as every other day of the week. ... enjoying the 'walk' with everyone else.

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...