Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Creativity or Copycat?

My Mom tells me sometimes how creative I am... I told her one day,"I'm not creative, I'm simply good at copying what other creative people do." I have enjoyed Pleasant View Schoolhouse Blog at http://pleasantviewschoolhouse.blogspot.com/search/label/Thrifting for this very reason. I love to find a super cheap deal (free is always the best), and make something super cute, special or just unique. This super creative person has used an idea I have fantasized about... making wonderful items, such as unique aprons, from out of style clothes, that are made of absolutely wonderful fabric. Fabric is my trivial love. I don't hoard like I used to, but I have a few piles in hidden corners waiting their day in the sun. I recently purchased a king set of Pottery barn sheets on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/ for much less that retail, to make matching light weight blankets for the boys for summer. It is the A to Z pattern and as usual, I LOVE IT. I will get these made,.. the design is simple. But the pants for which I have a pattern will just have to wait. I still owe the Raggedy Ann's I made at christmas for my nieces, pants and an apron. But quilt/blanketing is just straight sewing. With very limited intricate details. My Mom made one for me when I changed size beds. I still use it, in fact Jack has it on his bed. Sewing is so cathartic, and when VBS is over, I'll get it done.
But back to the thrift store. I didn't really shop items that can be recycled, as much as I did items that would go into immediate use. I used to shop everything and collect items that I might need in 2 years(children's clothes etc.) But I have a new rule these days. If I don't think I'll use it in the next 3 mos, especially children's clothes, I don't purchase. Which caused me to pass up a coat Jack might wear in a year. It was 7.50. It was perfect. I just can't buy everything. & that had to wait. However, I found several items of pajamas perfect for Henry in this summer sizes and fall sizes. He also scored 3 pairs of very lightweigh shorts, perfect for our hot weather. Now these I couldn't pass up because they were .39 each. One of them was Ralph Lauren. Jack found a toy oil tanker for .15 Yes .15. He also found a bug box, for all the super big black grass hoppers that eat all our plants, for a mere .59.
I knew I'd entered the 'thrift store zone', however, when a lady tapped me on the back and told me, in a Louisiana, cajun accent, 'Lady, yo baby is stickin his gum in his hair.' With my hands full, and the top of Henry's stroller loaded with my finds, I couldn't do anything but retrieve the gum from the side of his head, and hope that was the end of it. It was for the time being. However in the bathtub that night, ... I found the rest.
I've spent a little time organizing future purchases at CVS, with the $25 gift card I got for a new prescription. I'm finding with a little thought & planning I can stock up on items we use for pennies on the $. check out Money Saving Mom for details. http://www.moneysavingmom.com/

It's late, and gymnastics starts early. BTW, Jack is loving it!

No comments:

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...