Saturday, June 5, 2010

Raw Milk & My Rights to Drink It


Land of the free-- home of the brave... this is where I get annoyed at our great country. Food issues. Perhaps I'm channeling my great Uncles who were dairy farmers in Springfield but this urks me.

I was reading a New Life on a Homestead about a recent case in Springfield, MO, about a family undergoing legal battles regarding selling fresh, left-over pre-ordered raw milk in a parking lot. Go here(article above) and here to read more.

Kendra I believe captures it when she quotes the powers that be in regard to this. 'There is no fundamental right to consume the food of one's choice...' Kendra found this is from the Food and Drug Administration, regarding the consumption of raw milk. I can't weigh in personally on raw milk, but as a Buy Local supporter, this bothers me. Alot.

After watching, Food Inc. which is a documentary about the food industry & it's hold on people in our country, I began to see how vital regulation is to the big industry. If people (like me) are willing to eat what is in a twinkie/zinger/coke/cheerios, we need 'big brother' to watch over our feeble minds, especially involving the consumption of foods like meat(see the movie regarding a particular piece of legislation regarding meat). But isn't that the point? If we are supporting local food, which is beneficial for so many healthier reasons, we won't need either of these. The twinkies or the administration that deems them healthy. These folks with their raw milk are not feeble minded. And they are selling to a group of individuals that have taken responsibility for their food choices & I'm sure their way of life. As it stands now, they are facing up to 180 days in jail for this infraction. For being practical. Resourceful. And actually teaching their kids through a family business how to be responsible contributors to their community. Seems like there are better things to do with taxpayer dollars than bother these folks.

You can your support & donate at Facebook.
If you want to read more about another independent free-thinking farmer, read about Joel Salatin in this article at Mother Earth News titled 'Everything He Wants to Do is Illegal.' These farmers need our support if we want options in our food choices. Find your local CSA or farmer's market perhaps listed here. Vote with your dollar.

1 comment:

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

Amen! Thank you for spreading the word!!

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...