Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New Dishes & Chores: What Works and What Doesn’t.


7 Motivations to get Kids to Do Their Chores: What Works and What Doesn’t.
I found this post through WeAreTHAT Family's Works for Me Wednesday list. I can't remember if this was today's, but it's really, really good. She spells it out. What works in the long run, not the immediate, quick-fix, keep them quiet moment. Today my son was doing his most well-known chore. He empties the dishwasher in much the same fashion as described in '7's' post. I pull the breakables/sharps that I don't want him to handle, and then tell him to have at it. Most everything is breakable, but somethings are more likely to just snap at his touch. Sometimes I leave the sharps, if I can be closer by to supervise. The plates were $1.99 each & everything can be replaced. (I shop sets that have gone on sale at places like Pier 1 or Target) However, the opportunity to demonstrate his value in this family is priceless. I consider it the best win/win/win situation of parenting. He gains in character, I have an opportunity for new dishes, & I don't have to empty the dishwasher! I really like the way '7' explains the realities of motivators for chores. I'm just sharing the designing parenting scheme for new, cute dishes. Works for me!

2 comments:

se7en said...

Thanks for the heads-up!!! What a nice surprise!!! You have a good day...

Just Jennifer said...

I need to get my son to do chores. I hate doing them. My mom made us do them so I think it's time I continue the tradition. ;)

Education, Easter and Early Mornings - April 9, 2023

 'No doubt I should have begun hunting a job at once, but I was hungry for books, anxious to be learning, so I rented a room in a small ...